Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Wheeled ice houses? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 02-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Wallhanger

Default Wheeled ice houses?

Now that winter is also over, knda..the wife after one time in the clam has said she thinks we need a portable ice house.

Looking to buy a smaller unit that maybe I can pull out onto the lake with a Polaris 850 Sportsman and put the ATV in the house while getting to the lake.
A toy hauler/icehouse I think.
Trying to keep it small enough I don't have to wait for 2 foot of ice and it'll probably just be for two people.

Anybody do this?
Suggestions?
Dealers?

TIA
Al
Old 02-13-2017, 08:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
Now that winter is also over, knda..the wife after one time in the clam has said she thinks we need a portable ice house.

Looking to buy a smaller unit that maybe I can pull out onto the lake with a Polaris 850 Sportsman and put the ATV in the house while getting to the lake.
A toy hauler/icehouse I think.
Trying to keep it small enough I don't have to wait for 2 foot of ice and it'll probably just be for two people.

Anybody do this?
Suggestions?
Dealers?

TIA
Al
Dak Shack
Old 02-13-2017, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by undguy View Post
Dak Shack
Interesting, bare ones basic and floats, cool.
Thanks.

al
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 03:32 PM
Wallhanger

I have a friend on mine who has a small Ice Castle that is good for two people. He gets out early with the 4 wheeler, but he is relegated to the ice road the the snow begins to pile up. There are some ski options for the wheels, but the house is going to be heavy to drag around. I saw a guy up at Red Lake who had a side by side with tracks and an ice castle with skis. Looked like a fine unit, but you got to love ice fishing to invest in the tracks.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
I have a friend on mine who has a small Ice Castle that is good for two people. He gets out early with the 4 wheeler, but he is relegated to the ice road the the snow begins to pile up. There are some ski options for the wheels, but the house is going to be heavy to drag around. I saw a guy up at Red Lake who had a side by side with tracks and an ice castle with skis. Looked like a fine unit, but you got to love ice fishing to invest in the tracks.
Going to go look at a 6.5 x 14v Tackle Box by Ice Castle, little bigger than what we wanted, but the 14 footer will deal with the 750# of 850 Sportsman ATV I have, plus it has brakes.

We're retired so I don't have to go out till the snow gets packed down or roads made, but will get the ski for the tongue and have chains for the ATV.
It gets so that doesn't work I'll stay home.

Lots of choices, lots of brands.

Al
Old 02-15-2017, 06:21 AM
Wallhanger

fwiw, I ended up with an 6.5 x 14V Ice Castle, Tackle box, bare bones shack with a ramp on the back to use as a toy hauler.

http://www.nilsondirect.com/pages/in...%20Box&lid=184

Got it from Monahans in Little Falls, bit of a drive but the salesman was great to deal with.

And it's gonna be 60 this weekend..figures..

Thanks all.

Al
Old 03-05-2017, 07:23 AM
Slot Fish

what does it weigh approximately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
Going to go look at a 6.5 x 14v Tackle Box by Ice Castle, little bigger than what we wanted, but the 14 footer will deal with the 750# of 850 Sportsman ATV I have, plus it has brakes.

We're retired so I don't have to go out till the snow gets packed down or roads made, but will get the ski for the tongue and have chains for the ATV.
It gets so that doesn't work I'll stay home.

Lots of choices, lots of brands.

Al
Old 03-12-2017, 09:37 PM
Minnow

Congrats on the ice shack purchase, if I were you I'd buy tracks for the wheeler unless you only want to fish in optimum conditions, tracks turn an ATV into a real puller when conditions get bad.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Last edited by blucoondawg; 03-13-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
Congrats on the ice shack purchase, if I were you I'd buy tracks for the wheeler unless you only want to fish in optimum conditions, tracks turn an ATV into a real puller when conditions get bad.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Tracks are about 3k, I'll stay off ice if it's that bad, but ya, they work pretty well.

Al