Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Insight mapping - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Keeper

Default Insight mapping

I upgraded my electronics this spring to HDS 2, and was looking at the Insight custom mapping on the Lowrance website. I have watched the online videos, and the process of recording the sonar logs and uploading the files seems straight forward enough. I am curious if those who have used this have found the time and energy to be worthwhile in making your own maps. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Keeper

I got Insight Genesis last week. Scan and mapped 2 local lakes. One no mapping available other mapping available but not HD.
There was big difference in map I made and one that I got on Insight HD2103. On purchased chip couple shallow humps were nowhere near close to where they actually were. also a number of significant size humps and holes that did not even show up until I did my own mapping.
It did take alot of time and fuel to plot these lakes which are not overly large. One that is 375 acres took around 10 hrs. however now they detail I have is unbelieved able. Where I think it will help me most is when transferring my HDS unit to my quad for ice fishing. Also for casting weed edges in summer knowing exact depths so I can follow outside of weed lines more accurately.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:17 AM
Keeper

Thanks. I will start recording sonar logs and see what I get. A couple of smaller lakes I fish have no depth maps on the Navionics and my older Lakemaster chips so it will be interesting to see what the bottom composition and structure looks like.

Are you using the Insight Lake Maps (not the custom map, but the maps they sell for either ($99 or $149) too on you unit? I have older Navionics and Lakemaster cards and was wondering what you are using and how it works for you. I am trying to decide what direction I should go with my map card, now that I have two HDS 2 units networked together.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Keeper

I have the insight HD the $149 chip. Like it works great on big popular laked recorded in HD but wanted Genesis more detail for smaller lakes I fish close to home which do not have any decent mapping.

I wish I would have thought of it earlier, but subscription lasts yr and wish I would have been doing recording while out fishing last fall. That way would have had a jump on things.

Last edited by wallijig; 04-27-2014 at 12:10 PM.