Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird 859, 999 ethernet - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Minnow

correct me if im wrong but i would like to put 999 at the bow , connect to ipilot link and connect 999 to 859 at the helm.
I need the ethernet cable from ipilot to a 5 port hub and adapter ethernet cable to 999 and adapter ethernet cable from 859 to regular ethernet cable to hub?
Am i dreaming or does humminbird want more $$$$ for cables an hubs then they got already from me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Wallhanger

You are correct, you need the hub and the adapter.

They get plenty of money for the cables, but compared to how much the old units cost vs the new you are still coming out ahead...
Old 04-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the help, its just frustrating when you think that you have finally dropped the last of your wad and they rake ya for more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Wallhanger

ipilot link has it's cable in the box. Also a 30' extension. You can hook up to one unit by only getting one AS-QDE adapter. $30) If you want more units connected, then you need the 5 port switch and a QDE adapter and the appropriate length etherenet cables for additional equipment,if you choose to do that. Bob
Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Minnow

Ok fellas, i new at this game so bare with me.

I have the 859 DI and 999ci HD SI, i pilot link. I want to put the 999 on the bow where i spend most of my time and 859 at the console and use it mainly for marking spots while driving and using it for navigation.

My question is, is the transducer on the ipilot worth connecting to anything? doesnt make sense to connect to 859 cause it would be useless while driving. I will be wanting the SI transducer for the 999 and do i put the second supplied transducer on for the 859? and i'm also confused on the locations of the transducers.

I do have the 5 port hub, the adapters for the ethernet cables, still confused why the 5 port hub needs power??

I have a 486 stratos with 150 merc

Thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_c_hunter View Post

I have the 859 DI and 999ci HD SI, i pilot link. I want to put the 999 on the bow where i spend most of my time and 859 at the console and use it mainly for marking spots while driving and using it for navigation.

My question is, is the transducer on the ipilot worth connecting to anything? doesnt make sense to connect to 859 cause it would be useless while driving. I will be wanting the SI transducer for the 999 and do i put the second supplied transducer on for the 859? and i'm also confused on the locations of the transducers.

I do have the 5 port hub, the adapters for the ethernet cables, still confused why the 5 port hub needs power??

Thanks in advance
I've got the exact same set up, albeit I've got the 999 at the helm as I'll be trolling walleyes for the most part! The dealership rigged it so the 999 is connected to the SI ducer and a 2d skimmer off the transom and the bow 859 is connected to the US2 on the Minnkota. With the new software update I should be able to see the 999 SI and DI on the 859!
Just remember that hooking up the bow bird to a transom transducer will show you what's at the back of the boat, not where your fishing!
I too am new to this so I hope I said that all right
HB 999SI, 859DI
Old 04-26-2014, 05:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_c_hunter View Post

Thanks in advance
Hunter, Are you talking about the US2 transducer in your Minn Kota trolling motor? If so you can't use SI through it. US2 is only 2D(traditional sonar) Both units have that sonar built into their transducers as well as Si in the 999 and DI in your 859. To use those features you must have them in the water. The 999 transducer would have to be mounted on the trolling motor and the 859 on the transom or possibly epoxied inside your hull if you have a glass boat. The why part on the Ethernet switch is it won't work without power. Bob
Old 04-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Minnow

thanks fellas, ill give her a go. Gonna be a bit to give it a test as our water is all still hard