Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova or power drive - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-19-2017, 03:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
What makes it "much better"? The only difference is the locking mechanism.
...and how it deploys...and the foot peddle...and pulling it back up...
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
It's a really light alumacraft v-16 lunker. I think 55 pd will work. I have thought the same but don't really want to add another battery because of weight and room. Not much storage up front the way it is. Will have the main motor running and just use the trolling motor for steering. Throw out a sock if it's too fast. Should work good for pulling cranks.
I had a 55 lb. Terrova on a Tracker Super Guide V-14...it was barely adequate.

You might be OK if you're only using the TM for steering, my 12 volt was often gasping for electrons after more than a few hours on the water.

Looked like this:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...4/DSC_0286.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...4/DSC_0285.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...4/DSC_0284.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...4/DSC_0283.jpg
Old 03-20-2017, 04:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
...and how it deploys...and the foot peddle...and pulling it back up...
I have found a coat of paste wax now and then really make the deploying and retrieving the PD quite easy. . . .
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-20-2017, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

I have an Alaskan 1600 with a Honda 50. I would guess it to be one of the heavier 16 footers. I ran a 55# Powerdrive, and now have a 55# Motorguide. I also just run 1 battery. I've found it adequate for most all my fishing. Is bigger better? Sure, sometimes, but I'd rather keep the weight down and have extra storage. It's a sacrifice I'll deal with.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
I have an Alaskan 1600 with a Honda 50. I would guess it to be one of the heavier 16 footers. I ran a 55# Powerdrive, and now have a 55# Motorguide. I also just run 1 battery. I've found it adequate for most all my fishing. Is bigger better? Sure, sometimes, but I'd rather keep the weight down and have extra storage. It's a sacrifice I'll deal with.
Ya, I'm thinking I'll be alright. I'm not a bottom bouncer guy. Pull cranks mostly and Jig fish with spot lock. Could always run two batteries in parallel if battery power runs out. A good group 31 battery should be sufficient.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
Ya, I'm thinking I'll be alright. I'm not a bottom bouncer guy. Pull cranks mostly and Jig fish with spot lock. Could always run two batteries in parallel if battery power runs out. A good group 31 battery should be sufficient.
That worked for me for years and it wasn't even a battery mizer TM like the new ones are. Just one Group 27 battery from Sam's Club.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SturgeonLakeatCliffsHouse6-24to7-1-11058.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	249034  
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
I have a Alumacraft Classic 165. I fished five seasons with a 55# Maxxum cable steer TM. I have a group 31 battery with a high RC rating, plus a 10 amp Minnkota charger. I never even came close to running my battery dead in a day's fishing. My brother has a Escape 165 with the same TM and has the same results.

I have a new 55# Terrova on order and I'm not worried about not having enough power.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
I have this setup with the Powerdrive V2 and the ipilot link. I purchased them seperately and just shopped hard for great deals. I ended up getting the motor at Gander as they matched a price for $500 brand new. Then I found the link on a site like jet or universalmania and I paid right around $600 for it. So $1100 for everything and the only real downfall is no foot pedal.

I do admit the foot pedal not there is a bit of a pain in the ***. If you are trying to change a bait or something while trolling, and there are other lines in the water, it is a pain to steer with the hand remote at the same time. It just has you stopping to steer at weird times. Fishing alone or not trolling is no biggie as you can just anchor.

That being said, I still think it was worth the savings over purchasing a Terrova. (although the new Terrova has the lift assist, which would be really nice)
I thought these things had autopilot. Was thinking you could push the AP button while tying on your baits.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Wallhanger

I use the remote all of the time. Foot pedal is in the rafters of the garage somewhere. If I have to retie, I just move the boat out about 10' (if fishing docks/brush for panfish, or structure for walleye) and hit spot lock. If trolling, I am in autopilot so it just keeps going. I use spot lock more for holding the boat still when retying or netting a fish than actual fishing! So nice to hit that button and not have to worry about anything else until its time to get back at it.

Was a royal pain in the rump having to sit there on the foot pedal trying to retie, or getting off the TM to net a fish and drifting off the spot, into other boats, or into structure.

Should have bought i pilot years ago.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:55 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post

I thought these things had autopilot. Was thinking you could push the AP button while tying on your baits.

So I troll with my ipilot steering and my kicker motor moving us along. If I am in Canada, on an uncharted lake, and there are 3 other ppl trolling, using the anchor button doesn't work. I have to shut down the kicker and everyone else would have to stop fishing.

Everyone has different situations. Me fishing with kids and grandparents, I pretty much have to do everything. Sometimes the foot pedal would come in handy.