Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
driest fiberglass boat? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 05-14-2005, 10:50 AM
cabin boy

Default driest fiberglass boat?

Got back from Big Stone opener and as you guessed it blew like the dickens and we got wet in transit. I'm buying a glass boat because I sick of watching rangers blast by me like a caddy. I have a fisherman and its not a dry ride to say the least. I like the looks of the new warriors and heard the are the driest. What is built to last and made for the big water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: driest fiberglass boat?

Actually most of todays glass walleye boats are dry and smooth.

To get a good feel for the dryest ride, go to the dealers of various boats, and look from the bow toward the stern, while standing on the floor in front of the boat.

The boat with the dryest ride, will tend to have a large reverse chine, to blow the water back down and away from the boat.

The typical aluminum boat can't have a reverse chine, because you can't bend metal in two different directions at the same time.

With glass it is all in the mold. Just make sure that as you get closer to the top of the mold, the mold is larger than points below. That way, the boat will be able to be extracted from the mold.

In answer to your question.
Warrior makes a great smooth dry boat. Because it is one of the deeper v boat, it is also a bit slower than some of the other boats.

If you want a very fast boat, go with the triton, or similar type boat. However, this type boat, has a bit more flat bottom - which lets it achieve its greater speed; but you are giving up some on ride, and comfort.

The Skeeter, Ranger, Stratos - as well as most of the Bay boat and off shore boats. Look for a 17 degree deep v or so, lots of reverse chine, and what ever you do - make sure that you put enough hp on the stern.

Take care
REW
Old 05-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Cabin Boy:

I myself run a Ranger 620T and feel it is the best ride going, but everyone needs to look for themselves. Some things i would do are.

Talk with owners of whatever brand, what do they like or dislike.

Look all the boats over for fit and finish

How does resale go.

Try to max out horse power always or close to it.

Will it take care of your needs, for how you use it.

Be sure to compare apples to apples.

Be sure to run the model of the boat you are looking at on the water in wind conditions, all boats run well in calm water.

When done with all the above go with your gut feeling

Enjoy the process of looking for a new boat, KEEP IT FUN.

George Feder
Engine Steer Factory Team
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 09:00 PM

Driest fiberglass boat? A TUNDRA!!! Oh, darn , that's right, it's aluminum. ;)
Old 05-14-2005, 09:08 PM
ranstrattritowner

For a reply to your comment about ranger being the dryest your dreaming. I have owned a ranger 621 a Tracker Tundra 21 and a Triton and by far the best ride and driest ride is the tracker tundra 21. If you ask by far whats the worst boat I have owned yep its a Tracker not because of the boat but the service. As far as glass boats I will Rank them in ride and I have rode in them all.
1.Triton 215x
2.Stratos 21MSX
3.Ranger 621
4.Champion
5.Tracker Targa
6.Skeeter
These are all the model that I have mostly rode in and this is a true test not just a biast ranger owner words. Does Ranger make the best boat? NO but do they make a great boat? Yes
Most manufactures make good boats In big water the 215x is the best I have been in! Hands down
All around I would have to go with the Stratos 21MSX it dosen't blow around like the 215 in high winds.
Just my 2 cents worth
Old 05-14-2005, 09:12 PM
formertundraowner

I agree with you its one of the best rides out there and the dryest. But as far as a company they suck. I am a tourney fisherman who was loyal to them and they screwed me. Good luck with your new tundra (great boat) Horrible service.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Sark 2

I love my YarCraft 1995 TSC. They have been known as the "Dry One" for years. When it gets rough I turn the knob, drop my jackplate and hug the waves. With I light chop, crank it up and I leave a small rooster tail and run 62mph.

I am on my third YarCraft and will soon be shopping for my fourth. I do have to drive 100 miles for my YarCraft dealer, but touch wood, NOT ONE PROBLEM.

I only live 20 miles from the Warrior factory, but I just do not think the Warrior is up to YarCraft's standard.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:10 PM
MB

Yar-Craft-hands down. No comparison. For many, if you don't want to get wet, get a full windshield, for the rest, if you don't want to get wet, get Yar-Craft.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

What Skeeter were you in a 1775 or what because I have passed and stayed WAY drier than any 621 and the 21 MSX is real close my 2050 Skeeter (have only ever seen 1 215 and it was dead calm that day dont see many of the others you listed either have rode in the ranger, stratos, targa), Out of the boats I have riddin in and owned I would have to say that the Yar craft is by far the Driest Smoothest ridding boat I have been in, The 1895 may only be 19ft but it rides better than any 21 footer I have been in and at the ramps they are usually the driest too. I may have a Skeeter but I think yarcraft has the best hull, just not the best layout for my needs. I almost bought the MSX too but the skeeter layout was just better for me.(they are very close though).
Old 05-15-2005, 06:51 AM
Nightie

Remember one thing if your looking for a tiller boat. Alot of the popular brands were designed or lets say copied after the...
.....The YAR-Craft Hull Design.

They are the original creator of the DRY-ONE.

Make sure you look at price before you buy and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks,

Tom Nightingale