Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Line question on Lac Seul - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Keeper

Default Line question on Lac Seul

I know this probably has been beat to death but I'm getting geared up for the Walleye Opener on Lac Seul and was curious what you guys are running for line. We do lots of vertical jigging. I've always ran mono and recently started using Trilene Sensation blaze orange and love it. Everyone swears by braid and floro- I wasn't a big fan of floro but love braid for bass. Does anyone have issues in Lac Seul with all the snags with braid? I know you can run a floro leader but I'd rather run it straight to the jig if possible, with the water so murky does it really matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 12:35 AM
Keeper

When I was using braided line to jig with I tied to the jig. I always had a 12" long doll rod to wrap around the line when I got snagged that helped in several ways. The feal with braided line is the best but I went back to mono to each his own but I liked it better than floro and braided. I use the gold line in the stained water it is the easiest to see. I never understood the floro leader on braided I used braided for feal and to get more jigs back out of the rocks I put the floro leader on and it broke off when snagged Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:12 AM
Keeper

I use the gold stren but just went on eBay and got a small spool of sensation orange I want to try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 06:20 AM
Wallhanger

We jig A LOT and used to usee stictly Trilene XL in green, 6 lb.

Once I got a really good jigging rod ( St Croix Avid, and low a ST Croix Legend Extreme) I switched to braid. I like the no stretch, better feel, and almost unbreakable nature of the stuff, but it's a bear when you hang up. I started useing a double uni knot to attach 5 feet of 6 lb trilene to the end. I can change jigs easily, if I hang up, I can break off without a tug of war, and i get just a little bit of stretch on the hookset. Seems like it helps me hook up, and maybe prevents or reduces the chance of a tip snap if you accidently high stick a rod.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:37 AM
Wallhanger

Strictly a mono guy....... fishing on Lac Seul for close to 30 years. Normally I fish UL or ML rods so I haven't really felt the need to switch to braid. I have caught plenty of 28-30" walleye and nice northerns up to 40" on 6 or 8 lb mono. One caveat is that I primarily use floating jig heads which probably reduces the number of lost jigheads compared to the weighted jigheads. Lac Seul's water is really a dark tannic color and I never felt the color or visibility of my line had any effect on overall results. The fish are there or they aren't.

PjShorthorn
Old 04-03-2015, 06:52 AM
Wallhanger

Default Monofilament is all that I use

The vast majority of my walleye fishing during mid-summer through autumn is vertical jigging. I tried a popular braid when it first came out many years ago. I could not get this line off my spool fast enough, in order to return to my preferred monofilament. I found that my lightweight jigs would hang up in the middle of water column, when I thought that I was near bottom. I'm sure that the braids are much improved by now, but that doesn't matter to me any more.

I exclusively use six pound Trilene XL on my spool. I tie a small SPRO swivel (35 pound) to the end of the line and then tie a dropper of six pound Vanish fluorocarbon to the other end of the swivel. The dropper is around eighteen inches or so. I tie the dropper directly to the jig (either 1/16 or 1/8 ounce). This setup is simple and works extremely well for me. I use a light power St. Croix Legend rod.

I have listened to many people argue that braids offer supreme sensitivity to detect bottom and the bite. I believe that the sensitivity works both ways as the fish is now able to better detect me. Is that sensitivity good or bad?

I absolutely believe that the setup that I described above offers me all the sensitivity that I could possibly want. But, you have to use what offers you the confidence that you need to have when you are in the boat.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 04-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Minnow

Default Mix it up!

Everybody likes something different so experiment while you are there. I use mono 6# Sensation on one rod, 8# Berkly Nonofil on another and still use a floro rod too. Vertical jig, Lindy Rigs and Drop Shot to mix things up. They all catch fish! Great to play around and come up with your favorite. Wish we were leaving in the morning! But have a few more weeks of Florida Bass Fishing on Lake O in the mean time!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the replies so far fellas! I've been so happy with sensation hard to switch but I might take a spool of power pro up to see how it goes. Yes I do want to try to drop shot for some eyes this year, I've never tried that before for walleyes
Old 04-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Keeper

Default Line

Don't over complicate things, I live in this neck of the woods.
Line is the least of your worries.
8-10 pound is good, no need to use 6, you will only be supporting the tackle stores
Our fish have not gone to hook school, they are not sensitive to these things., same as finesse fishing, no need for it.
Your question is like asking. : what calibre is good for deer.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10 View Post
Don't over complicate things, I live in this neck of the woods.
Line is the least of your worries.
8-10 pound is good, no need to use 6, you will only be supporting the tackle stores
Our fish have not gone to hook school, they are not sensitive to these things., same as finesse fishing, no need for it.
Your question is like asking. : what calibre is good for deer.
X2, a man who ought to know!!! Did you ever hear the saying "fishing tackle is designed to catch more fishermen than fish." Words to live by. The same tackle my dad and uncle used to boat walleyes almost 30 yrs ago are the same things I use every year.