Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Frabill says "No more Hideouts or parts" - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 02-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Jet,
I had a couple of houses similar to yours a few years ago.

I went to lake of the woods with a friend and two snowmobiles.

We used the snowmobiles to cover the ice to find the fish. We often drove at very high speeds to quickly cover the miles.

My older house lasted two days, before being destroyed by the ice and slush and hard driving.

I went into Baudette and bought an Otter house with its sled base and rounded nose and travel cover.

The rest of the trip was great. Hundreds of miles on the sleds covering water to find the fish with no issues at all, pulling over hard pack, soft snow, slush and water. The house worked perfectly, the sled easily covered the snow and never had issues with the snow piling up in front of the sled.

Great choice when covering a lot of ice to catch the fish.

Be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Wallhanger

Patience pays off!

After 2 misfires and 200 miles road tripping, I buy a mint condition Hideout for $85 and the tradition lives on!

My brother buying my Hideout because his 30 year old is Sno-Boat worn out. (similar to Hideout)

My best friend bought a used Hideout as well after haunting Craigslist.

Note to Frabill:

All of us white collar guys, can easily afford portable shanties and we're buying the one you don't make anymore.

The Hideout>>>>>>>>>>>>Refuge, maybe you should revive that line?

Last edited by Jethro; 04-07-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Jet,
I had a couple of houses similar to yours a few years ago.

I went to lake of the woods with a friend and two snowmobiles.

We used the snowmobiles to cover the ice to find the fish. We often drove at very high speeds to quickly cover the miles.

My older house lasted two days, before being destroyed by the ice and slush and hard driving.

I went into Baudette and bought an Otter house with its sled base and rounded nose and travel cover.

The rest of the trip was great. Hundreds of miles on the sleds covering water to find the fish with no issues at all, pulling over hard pack, soft snow, slush and water. The house worked perfectly, the sled easily covered the snow and never had issues with the snow piling up in front of the sled.

Great choice when covering a lot of ice to catch the fish.

Be safe
REW:

These houses are meant for those on foot, or in trucks. They're not built to withstand high speed dragging, and I don't even know how you would keep the stuff in them at speed. (they're too shallow)

Don't know about there, but in Wisconsin there are more anglers on foot or in their trucks on the small inland lakes I fish.

There's definitely a market for these. They used to cost $300, much cheaper than the heavier shanties that get towed.