Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye spinning reel "super" line preferences - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Wallhanger

Try Silver Thread Excalibur....It is a copolymer and all we use....A little hard to find sometimes but worth the effort to find. We buy ours bulk on line
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Wallhanger

I think ElectricSlide is on it. I fish a little different rod than you, but a premium rod/reel combo nonetheless, and when I built the rod, Thorne Bros recommended Invisibraid, a 10 lb braid with a 2 lb diameter, and a 6 ft leader of Suffix. I didn't like the Suffix, and went back to a short leader of my favorite mono...you guessed it... 6 lb Trilene XL.

Now I get the anti-stretch of the braid, increased feel of the braid, less water resistance of the braid, with the ease of know tying, the ability to break off when I hang up, the invisibility of the green mono in the water column, and just enough stretch at the very end of the hookset to not yank the jig free. I will say, though, that the hooksets are way different with braid, and that was the toughest part to get used to. Instead of the over-your-head Curt Gowdy hooksets, now it's a little flick of the wrist, and we're hooked up.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Slot Fish

I tried Fireline once and switched back to Trilene XL. I usually jig for walleyes and found that although the Fireline is strong as heck, it also nicks up easily in rocks and then breaks very easily. So, basically anytime you get hung up you almost have to retie. Trilene XL is more forgiving & can usually survive a few forays into the rocks.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Minnow

I have used XL for the past 56 trips to Canada and I too love a good Shimano/St. Croix ML spinning rig. I find that the stretch in mono actually helps with hook set with less rip outs. You will also note that most Canadian camp sites and camp owners recommend mono as well for all walleye applications. I have tried braid and fluoro but don't see the need in Canada. Braid is also a bi*ch when you snag up jigging on the shield lakes in Canada, eh?

I do use braid/fluoro while fishing Lake Michigan for salmon and trout where the long-line stretch could be an issue.

My advice: Stay in your comfort zone. You won't have a problem with 8-10# XL for walleye in Canada.

Good fishing,
Ciese
Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Minnow

Default Walleye spinning reel "super" line preferences

I'm going to try GAMMA this year for my Canadian trip. Brought a few spools at the Chicago Fishing Show last month and I'm good to go.
Strength and lack of memory is what sold me.
http://www.gammafishing.com/
Old 02-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Wallhanger

I use Power Pro Super Slick for jigging sometimes. Everything else is Trilene XL. I've tried a few different brands of fluoro and just can't stand the stiffness and high memory. Some brands are definitely better than others, but none perform as well as XL imo.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Wallhanger

I'm a spiderwire guy myself. I've never found anything to be better than braid in any situation, open water fishing, except slip bobber fishing, where I switch the spool to 6lb xt.

You get strength, feel, less memory, and smaller diameter out of braid. Only downsides are the need for better knots and abrasion resistance, which is pretty well covered when using a leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 AM
Wallhanger

I am a SpiderWire Stealth braid fan. I have this on at least 12-15 rods for walleye fishing. Ive been using the Stealth for at least 6-7 years. I have the same rod as you but I use that rod for rigging not jigging. I really like the Fenwick Elite Tech Bass rod for jigging eyes. I use the 15# Stealth and it casts very very well with no issues of wind knots except once in a great great while like maybe 1-2 times per year at the most. It will actually cast further IMHO that XL which was my staple line for many years. I don't think I had even one wind knot last season at all. I was always changing out my XL once in the spring and once in late July and with Stealth I do not change it at all. If the end looks like it is fraying I just cut off about 15' and retie a new fluoro leader. I can pitch a 1/16oz to 1/8oz jig as far as I can and I still feel the most lightest of bites. Love it!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:15 AM
Slot Fish

It is interesting to hear the various setups and how people are using them. My conclusion is one spool braid and one XL, and to really test the braid vs. XL this June.

So the question is Suffix 832 or Spiderwire on a SPINNING reel that maintains castability, etc.? Thinking 10 or 12# mono equivalent.

My other question is anyone ever test break on these braids? Is 10# braid breaking close to that?

Thank you all for your great input!

Last edited by 1K1MOA; 02-09-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Slot Fish

I use braid for nearly everything at this point. I can't find a downside of braid for my fishing. I jig or cast jigs most of the time and I rarely use a flouro leader. I prefer power pro or spiderwire. I tried suffix 832 for a while but it does not cast as well as power pro or stealth, and I seemed to get more knots while casting.