Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Just venting.... Bad lodge guests - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-30-2002, 08:36 PM
Gordo

Default RE: Just venting.... Bad lodge guests

Where were you fishing at Crowduck? What a great fishery! Did you find them in Dark Water Bay or at the top in the outet bay to Crowduck Falls. We were there yesterday and they were uncommonly hard to find. Mind you the lake was like glass and not a cloud in the sky. In the afternoon we found them once the wind got up and a little cloud cover in about six feet of water up in Dark Water Bay.
I deal with the public in retail and like one of the guys said 95% are great, it's those very few that piss you off and ruin your day, we just have to learn to get on with it and enjoy the heck out of the good ones!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2002, 10:51 AM
Wallhanger

Default crowduck

We only found fish in one spot. It was along the shoreline nearby the Yellow triangle portage sign to side-sadle lake. Everywhere else was pretty dead, the funny part is that it was the shoreline that was out of the wind that day.

Usually when that lake is dead calm and sunny it's pretty dead.
Old 06-09-2002, 12:48 PM
jackfish

Hey River-eye:
You meet all kinds when guiding. Thankfully, I have had the pleasure of guiding great people who are on the water to have fun and enjoy the experience. There are some misguided folks who believe that because they have paid for a guide that they are guaranteed a fantastic catch, shorelunch and fish to take home. I always try to make things clear to my guests before we leave the dock. I tell them that fishing may be tough and that I perfer to guide catch and release parties that want a modest shorelunch. If my prospective clients have a problem with that, there are other guides out there that will try to fullfill their greed. Be clear, polite and confident in your pre-trip discussions then both you and your guests will know what to expect.
Have you ever had someone want to send you their maps so you could mark down (your very valuable and hard discovered) fishing holes!? I have and I think this beats all for down right ignorance.
Good fishing
Jackfish

Old 06-12-2002, 05:12 AM
mikie

Jackfish, yes I have done this. I was going to a lake I haven't seen since childhood, and wrote to a well-known guide at the lake. He offered to buy a hotspots map, mark it up for me, and mail it back - for $50 plus the map cost. I thought this was fair, and the response I got back was well-worth it. This is a huge lake, and I would have not known where to start; he knew that after my weekend there I would not be back, and so the damage I could do to his honey-holes was minimal, at best. My wife was a bit perplexed, thinking that fish are everywhere in the lake, but I did not mind paying the fee. When you balance the cost of travel, lodging, license, gas, and time off, another $50 for a map is a good investment. Think of charging for this service and you may make a new customer very happy. m
Old 06-12-2002, 10:29 PM
jackfish

Sorry to be contrary Mikie but copy machines can pump out a whole lot of hot spot marked maps. I think it's only smart business to keep some information to one self. A Guides knowledge is all he/she really has to sell. You said it yourself, our knowledge is valuable. Believe me when I say it's a lot more valuable than $50.00. If a guide keeps on giving out cheap info they won't have any customers and for sure their fishing holes will be nothing but holes. I don't mind giving tips and explaining a productive pattern but xnay on the hotspotzay. As Don Corleon said, 'Don't ever let anyone know what your thinking outside the family'.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:12 AM
Mark

Sorry about your experience. Some people are just...well you know. But....you said they were ignoring the slot and barbless regs. Is it not you and the lodge owners "duty" to report these infractions and/or ask(insist) that they pack their bags. If a Wildlife/Conservation Officer had pulled up beside you with illegal fish and hooks in the boat, you and the lodge owner would be facing charges along with these numbskulls.