Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
new 150hp. 4 stroke Merc vs. Yamaha 150hp. 4 stroke - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Wallhanger

Default fwiw

My dealer took a Ranger (sorry don't recall model) for a spin with this motor and he was really impressed.

Way more torque than the non-super charged 4 strokes to date. If I was in the market for a 150 4 stroke I'd be lining up a test drive.

Report back as this sure sounds like a motor made in the USA that would be a GREAT addition for many, many walleyes chasers.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Keeper

I am in the process of ordering a Ranger 1850 Reata and I am going to put a Merc 150 Four Stroke on the back. It will save me 1k compared to the Verodo. I am concerned that I am going to have one of the first on the market, but like others have said, I don't think Merc would put this out until they were sure. I am going from a F series Yamaha 115 Horse, that has been a great motor for me the last 6 Years. I am hoping the same for the Merc.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

According to the end of this article, iboats will be continuing the review on the new Merc 150 4S next month.

http://www.iboats.com/review_monthly..._article4.html

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knutson21 View Post
I am concerned that I am going to have one of the first on the market, but like others have said, I don't think Merc would put this out until they were sure.
You mean like how the Optimaxes were so reliable in the first few years of production............ Oh wait, the first ones weren't worth their weight as scrap.
But Merc stood behind them.
Oh, dang, wrong again, that why I will NEVER buy another Merc. Hose me once, shame on you. Hose me again, it's my fault for dealing with you.
If you have had such good luck with your Yammi, why would you want to gamble on a unproven Merc?
Old 12-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I am in the process of ordering a Ranger 1850 Reata and I am going to put a Merc 150 Four Stroke on the back. It will save me 1k compared to the Verodo. I am concerned that I am going to have one of the first on the market, but like others have said, I don't think Merc would put this out until they were sure. I am going from a F series Yamaha 115 Horse, that has been a great motor for me the last 6 Years. I am hoping the same for the Merc.
The F150 Yammie has been out for many years and is a proven performer. Why take a chance on the new motor?? It can't be much price difference and when your spending that much money, it shouldn't matter!! If you like the current Yamaha, why change to a brand new merc motor??
Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Keeper

To answer both of your questions. The 150 Yami is closer to price of the Verodo, and a 1k here and 1k there does make a difference even when you are spending this kind of cash. Also Merc is made in America. Not everything in my life is but, Americans SHOULD help Americans when they can. Blast me all you want, but that is my stance that you will not change.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Minnow

i also am looking at that moter just for the tiller handle. Does anybody know if its the same power steering that is on a verodo. thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
To answer both of your questions. The 150 Yami is closer to price of the Verodo, and a 1k here and 1k there does make a difference even when you are spending this kind of cash. Also Merc is made in America. Not everything in my life is but, Americans SHOULD help Americans when they can. Blast me all you want, but that is my stance that you will not change.
You didn't say it was about being made in America. I can understand then. As far as the money, I researched for two years on what I wanted to order on my boat. I have been kicking myself for not going with the bigger depthfinder/GPS all this time. It would have cost me $500 when ordering and now 3-4 times that to upgrade later. Just something to think about when choosing electronics, etc.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullfinder View Post
i also am looking at that moter just for the tiller handle. Does anybody know if its the same power steering that is on a verodo. thanks
Mercury offers 2 different Big Tiller w/power steering systems, 1 for the 4-strokes and Optis, and a second for the DTS-compatible Verado engines.

Since the new 150 description doesn't mention anything about DTS, I'd guess that the non-DTS system is slated for use on it.
HRG
Old 12-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Minnow

HRG thanks for the clarifacation