Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tongue slop - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 07-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Last time I was at Cabelas-Hoffman, they had a 3x4 Fulton kit on the shelf in an opened box. I took some time and played with the parts, maybe it's still there so you can too.

HRG
Thanks for the heads up on that. I will be open Sunday, so I will probably take a ride out there and check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/swing...ay-hinge-kits/
Old 07-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/swing...ay-hinge-kits/

http://www.amazon.com/Fulton-HDPB330.../dp/B0091KRV5M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

REW, what are you trying to show? Those are the same Fulton brand hinge kits we're talking about being loose.

HRG
Old 07-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Wallhanger

Here is a picture of the swing side of my Hinge. Notice the gap I circled in red. I have at least 200 ft-lbs of torque (high as my toque wrench reads) and that small gap, which is not uniform around all 360 degrees is what is causing the movement in my hitch. Not sure how much slop was there to begin with...when new. Maybe it was always like that from the factory as HRG is suggesting....don't know. When I called Trailmaster they said if the bolt is torqued you are OK. They also said If it was perfectly closed up you would not be able to swing it!!

Marty
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hinge.pdf (30.7 KB, 223 views)
Old 07-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Marty,
The problem with dealing with us engineer-types is that we think in thousanths of an inch. Below is a list of precision-ground steel shims that McMaster offers. Find yourself a set of feeler gauges, and determine what the gap is without the bolt torqued down (and bending the plates), and order yourself some 5/8" ID shims to fill the gap.

Personally, I still think that the holes in the upper & lower plates are a little egg-shaped, but that's a difficult repair to make.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-26-2014 4-15-21 PM.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	101473  
Old 07-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks HRG. In my earlier posts I thought about using washers to fill the gap, if I could fine one that fits. The shims would be better.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Marty,
The problem with dealing with us engineer-types is that we think in thousanths of an inch. Below is a list of precision-ground steel shims that McMaster offers. Find yourself a set of feeler gauges, and determine what the gap is without the bolt torqued down (and bending the plates), and order yourself some 5/8" ID shims to fill the gap.

Personally, I still think that the holes in the upper & lower plates are a little egg-shaped, but that's a difficult repair to make.

HRG
Certainly worth a try....but the gap is not consistent around the 360 degree circumference (wedge shaped). So in this case I am not sure a shim is going to do much good. What you don't see in the picture is on the backside there is no gap!

Marty
Old 07-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post
Certainly worth a try....but the gap is not consistent around the 360 degree circumference (wedge shaped). So in this case I am not sure a shim is going to do much good. What you don't see in the picture is on the backside there is no gap!

Marty
Is this gap from wear I'm assuming?

Short of removing and milling it flat again, don't suppose a couple of taps with a 3# brass hammer might close the gap?

Little crude and nothing an engineer would suggest, but what do they know about actual worldly things..

Al
Old 07-27-2014, 07:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
Is this gap from wear I'm assuming?

Short of removing and milling it flat again, don't suppose a couple of taps with a 3# brass hammer might close the gap?

Little crude and nothing an engineer would suggest, but what do they know about actual worldly things..

Al
That's always an option. If it gets worse I will take it to the local weld shop and see what they can do.

Marty