Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
why are only my running lights work? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 01-31-2015, 11:34 PM
Slot Fish

Default why are only my running lights work?

I had a 07 Ram 1500 and the all my trailer light worked perfectly on a 08 tandem trailer with a 5 pin flat. I sold that truck last year and bought a F-250 super duty, after that, only the running lights worked on the trailer, no blinker or brake lights. I sold that boat and bought a new boat with the same style trailer and the same thing, only the running lights work. The gentleman I bought it from had a new Dodge and the lights worked perfect when he had it hooked up. What is the issue? Anyone else ever have this problem? I looked up as much as I can and I did find a trailer light conversion kit. Does that sound right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 02:51 AM
Wallhanger

First off, check the owners manual and the fues panels in the truck.
Often times the trailer light circuit does not have a fuse in it from the factory.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Wallhanger

There might be two fuse boxes, one in the cab and one under the hood, at least that's what I had with my old GMC and, I think, my new one. You might take a look to see if that might be your problem.
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Wallhanger

I would check the fuses first, but it seems odd that both the right and left turn signals would have a blown fuse. I am almost certain they are separate fuses, and I would find it even stranger or a F-250 to not have any fuses in it.

How are you plugging your trailer in? Are you using an adapter to plug into the 7 pin plug?

When the other truck connected did they use the same adapter?

The other thing I would do is plug the adapter in the truck and then I would start the truck, turn the turn signal on and then check the pins on the adapter using a multi meter. You should get a pulsing 12 volts when you place one lead to ground and check the pins for the turn signals.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:38 PM
Keeper

turn signal and brake are on the same circuit check owners manual there are separate fuse for the trailer plug in. I believe the are under hood
Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

https://www.google.com/search?q=2014...%3B2152%3B2892
Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Wallhanger

Says invalid password REW
Old 02-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob92761 View Post
turn signal and brake are on the same circuit check owners manual there are separate fuse for the trailer plug in. I believe the are under hood

I had this problem last year and it was a blown mini fuse under the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the help everyone! It was one of the low profile j case fuses. I know I checked the fuses a couple times thinking that's what it was but it looked fine in the past, well I actually pulled it out seeing that's what everyone still said and it had the smallest break in it.... Next time I better just look alittle closer.