Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Prop for Ranger 619FS with Verado 225 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-05-2017, 06:11 AM
Keeper

Default Prop for Ranger 619FS with Verado 225

Ordered this a few weeks ago so it will be awhile before it gets here. Ordered a 4 inch hydraulic jack plate too. Will be just 2 of us using the boat with a moderate load of gear and livewells in use. Looking for good hole shot and top end.
Do you think the jp will make a difference in which prop I get?
Old 03-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Keeper

I bought this same boat recently with a verado 225 also. I have not got it in the water yet because we are still Iced in, but all I can tell you is the boat came from Ranger with a 21 pitch Tempest Plus. What prop is coming with your boat? I am looking for hole shot and rough water handling more than top speed .
Old 03-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Keeper

Will be awhile before I know. The Tempest Plus, Enertia, Enertia Eco all seem like good choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Slot Fish

I am curious as well, I've found some info around on how it performs with the Tempest 21. Seems pretty close to the right one, but RPM's weren't quite where they needed to be. I ordered a 20 Bravo LT to try, should know by end of month how it performs in comparison. My last boat, 1860, was night and day different with the Bravo XS as compared to the tempest. Hoping for similar results with the new boat and the v-rod.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Keeper

If it was me, 22p Bravo LT or 21p Bravo FS

Last edited by 06x6spdGTO; 03-15-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06x6spdGTO View Post
If it was me, 22p Bravo LT or 21p Bravo FS
X2. Not even a question.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Missouri

A jack plate will make a difference on performance and it varies from boat to boat. The higher the motor runs on the boat the less drag and you will gain more speed, but the prop has to be right for the setup. Larger diameter props can run higher because they typically have more blade surface and run deeper in the water and the tempest is a larger diameter. If you look at the video the boat is running high out of the water and with that said, less boat in the water less drag. So the top end might be good with that prop but the hole shot might suffer a little. The 20p Bravo LT looks interesting from what I have read. It looks to have good bow lift and and being a four blade the hole shot might be better. But when it is said and done it is still a 57 to 60mph boat. On one more note the PVS system on Mercury props is great for adjusting the hold shot but you will need more rpm and speed to keep the boat on plane at lower speeds.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM View Post
Missouri

A jack plate will make a difference on performance and it varies from boat to boat. The higher the motor runs on the boat the less drag and you will gain more speed, but the prop has to be right for the setup. Larger diameter props can run higher because they typically have more blade surface and run deeper in the water and the tempest is a larger diameter. If you look at the video the boat is running high out of the water and with that said, less boat in the water less drag. So the top end might be good with that prop but the hole shot might suffer a little. The 20p Bravo LT looks interesting from what I have read. It looks to have good bow lift and and being a four blade the hole shot might be better. But when it is said and done it is still a 57 to 60mph boat. On one more note the PVS system on Mercury props is great for adjusting the hold shot but you will need more rpm and speed to keep the boat on plane at lower speeds.
Up until now I was only considering 3 blade props but it sounds like the newer 4 blade props aren't the compromise they normally would be. Would love a 60 mph boat but think that might be optimistic for the 225. Hope I am wrong.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:57 AM
Minnow

I run a 619FS with Yamaha 225, 5.5" manual jack plate and kicker. My boat came with a 21p Tempest, dealer exchanged with 19p Tempest after test run.

I tried a lot of props last year at various motor heights. 19p Tempest, 19p Rev4, 20p and 20.5p Bravo FS, 20p Saltwater, 21p Pro Series. From running different props all of 2016 I noticed every prop performs a little differently. The Tempest lifts the bow a lot, the Bravo lifts the whole boat, the Pro Series does a little of both. If you're running rough water a lot you will prefer the Bravo over the Tempest as it controls the bow better. If you're not running much rough water you might prefer the Tempest or another 3 blade.

As for RPM's, the 19P Tempest spun the most RPM's, the 19p Rev4 and 20.5p Bravo the fewest. The 20p Bravo FS spun slightly less than the 19P Tempest but the jack plate could have been raised more.

As for speed, the only way I see the 619FS hull reaching 60mph is with a large pitch prop, lower than ideal RPMs and poor hole shot, or the 225 flashed to 250 or 300HP. From my experience it is a 54-57mph boat with a kicker, 50 gallons of fuel and loaded for fishing. If speed is all you're after there are other boats with much higher HP capacity! The boat fishes very nice.

As for my prop choice? I own the 19p Tempest, 20P Bravo FS and the 21p Pro Series props. I haven't settled on any prop yet as I need more time on the water with the 21p Pro Series. I would like to try a 20p Bravo LT sometime this year to see if the long tube provides more bow lift than the FS. My hunch is I will run the 21p Pro Series the most. It has the largest pitch of all the props I tried and the smallest diameter. It had the highest slip % in the calculator but ran very nice with the Yamaha. It is my fastest prop. The 20p Bravo is 2nd fastest (1mph less).

I think a 20p or 20.5p Bravo FS or LT would be a great all-around prop to try on the Verado and 619FS. It would provide good hole shot, good bow control, good boat lift and good speed in the mid 50's. I think anything over a 21p Bravo would be too much prop for that boat and motor.

Good luck and have fun with your new rig. I learned a lot about props in one summer!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty(ND) View Post
I run a 619FS with Yamaha 225, 5.5" manual jack plate and kicker. My boat came with a 21p Tempest, dealer exchanged with 19p Tempest after test run.

I tried a lot of props last year at various motor heights. 19p Tempest, 19p Rev4, 20p and 20.5p Bravo FS, 20p Saltwater, 21p Pro Series. From running different props all of 2016 I noticed every prop performs a little differently. The Tempest lifts the bow a lot, the Bravo lifts the whole boat, the Pro Series does a little of both. If you're running rough water a lot you will prefer the Bravo over the Tempest as it controls the bow better. If you're not running much rough water you might prefer the Tempest or another 3 blade.

As for RPM's, the 19P Tempest spun the most RPM's, the 19p Rev4 and 20.5p Bravo the fewest. The 20p Bravo FS spun slightly less than the 19P Tempest but the jack plate could have been raised more.

As for speed, the only way I see the 619FS hull reaching 60mph is with a large pitch prop, lower than ideal RPMs and poor hole shot, or the 225 flashed to 250 or 300HP. From my experience it is a 54-57mph boat with a kicker, 50 gallons of fuel and loaded for fishing. If speed is all you're after there are other boats with much higher HP capacity! The boat fishes very nice.

As for my prop choice? I own the 19p Tempest, 20P Bravo FS and the 21p Pro Series props. I haven't settled on any prop yet as I need more time on the water with the 21p Pro Series. I would like to try a 20p Bravo LT sometime this year to see if the long tube provides more bow lift than the FS. My hunch is I will run the 21p Pro Series the most. It has the largest pitch of all the props I tried and the smallest diameter. It had the highest slip % in the calculator but ran very nice with the Yamaha. It is my fastest prop. The 20p Bravo is 2nd fastest (1mph less).

I think a 20p or 20.5p Bravo FS or LT would be a great all-around prop to try on the Verado and 619FS. It would provide good hole shot, good bow control, good boat lift and good speed in the mid 50's. I think anything over a 21p Bravo would be too much prop for that boat and motor.

Good luck and have fun with your new rig. I learned a lot about props in one summer!
Awesome info Dusty, which prop gave you the best holeshot on that Yammi?