Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Free national fishing license for combat vets? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 05-26-2005, 05:26 PM
HollisUL

Default Free national fishing license for combat vets?

Wonder if this could work. After seeing just parts of Saving Pt Ryan on TV and seeing those pics that are being sent around (you probably have seen them via E-mail) of the troops in Iran and how some of them are living,things they have put up with ect. It seems to me that it would be a minor payback for what they have given up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 12:50 AM
alanexpup

Default RE: Free national fishing license for combat vets?

Hey I could go for that. I was in Viet Nam for 6 ******* months and did not even get a crummy T shirt. That would be one thing that i think a lot of Nam veterans would appreciate and any other veteran. I was fishing with a purple heart guy and his license is free for life. I would like to see it for all veterans.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:32 AM
sawyer

Maybe for one thing firefighters and policemen around here get about 50K a year plus benefits.Our state troopers can get a lot more depending on what they do. Mailmen get alomost the same when you put a dollar value on their benefits. I wasn't aware that school teachers and farmers gets shot at except for very rare exceptions. Small compensation for such sacrifice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 06:39 AM
Slot Fish

sounds like a good idea to me combat vets are not given enough and that would be a great thankyou.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:50 AM
Leechboy unlogged

While I like the idea of honoring vets, I don't think that additional specific privilages is a good way to do it. It would start to bleed into the "equal protection" area of the Constitution, which would be irionic, since that is what vets are really fighting for. How about just giving them an extra 50 bucks a year in services or cash and letting them do what them want with that. -lb
Old 05-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Keeper

I'd rather see them get paid what they're worth.

They deserve at least as much as the mailman or local cop.

Maybe if the Govt had to pay them accordingly then our "leaders" wouldn't be so quick to play "global cop" around the world.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:23 AM

Absolutely - I think it should be extended to all past and present members of the armed services. I have a brother who served 25 years in the Submarine Service. I would consider that going above and beyond too. Question is, what are you gonna do with this idea? Leave it on a reader board or go somewhere with it?

kvb
Old 05-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I agree that would be a nice idea for combat vets, but how do you decide who is actually a combat vet? Just because someone serves during a wartime doesn't necessarily mean they have seen combat. Does a cook, hundreds of miles from the front qualify (nothing against cooks, just first thing I thought of) ? I think it would just create a big squabble unfortunately
Old 05-27-2005, 10:49 AM

The cost of even a nonresident fishing license is less than one tank of gas, but being a retired guy living on a modest pension income, if there's ever a free fishing license for combat vets I'll take it.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:53 AM

You should understand, though, that I am not asking for thanks, gratitude, or recognition. I consider myself honored and privileged to have served with the men of my unit. They were America's best, and my time with them shaped my character and life. They said in those days that America didn't have heroes anymore. They were wrong; I knew the heroes.