Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trailer Following Crooked - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 07-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Slot Fish

Default Trailer Following Crooked

I have a new Crestliner Fish-hawk 1650 on the factory bunk trailer (i think its a shoreland'r). Noticed tonight driving home that the trailer was at an angle behind me, instead of towing straight behind me. I've had the boat out 8-10 times and definitely havent noticed this before (and i think i would have). Boat "appears" to be loaded straight on the trailer, however, i didnt take measurements to be sure.

Any thoughts as to what would be causing this? Didnt hit anything that i know of, or anything odd? What would cause this all of the sudden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default Check the trailer...

I have seen this happen where somehow the trailer is out of alignment. If indeed the trailer has not hit anything check that all axle related bolts, u-bolts and brackets are secured tightly.

You could also have someone drive your tow vehicle and boat down the road with you following in a separate vehicle and check for "dog walking".

2019 Skeeter WX1910
Old 07-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Slot Fish

it appears as if the axle moved down the trailer, you can see the old marks- moved ~6 inches on one side. Wonder if the u-bolts werent tight to start with, or what. Now to figure out how to adjust it back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Wallhanger

It's not too tough to move an axle, especially if you take the boat off the trailer first.

The real question- why did the axle move? You say this is a new rig. My guess would be the person who adjusted the trailer tongue weight for your rig didn't fully tighten the clamp bolts when he was done.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodag17 View Post
it appears as if the axle moved down the trailer, you can see the old marks- moved ~6 inches on one side. Wonder if the u-bolts werent tight to start with, or what. Now to figure out how to adjust it back.
if you can get the weight off the axle, I've used ratcheting-type straps to move mine. Just loop one end around the axle, and the other to a cross-member in the direction you need to go.
HRG
Old 07-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

The cause of the problem and the fix for the problem are both easy to identify.

Most dealers get loads of trailers into their dealerships in KITS.

i.e. they have a pile of frames, a pile of axles, and a pile of wheels.

Then, it is up to the dealership to take the piles and make individual trailers out of these piles of parts.

In your case, the fellow putting the trailer together probably put the axle hanger on the trailer, put the nuts on the hangers, and then went on coffee break. When he came back, he forgot where he was at and neglected to tighten up the bolts.

Here is the simple fix.

1. Hook your trailer up to your tow vehicle so that it can not move.

2. Take a jack and jack up one side of the trailer frame so that the wheel is off of the ground. Put a jack stand under that side of the trailer.

3. Repeat for the opposite side.

4. You now have the trailer and boat supported by three points. The hitch, and two jack stands that the rear of the trailer.

5. If you have leaf springs, the axle should be located at a point that is at 50% from one end of the spring to the other.
In many trailers, there is a locating pin that drops into a hole in the axle to pin and hold the axle in place. Then the U bolts are tightened up.
To double check, take a tape measure and measure from the front center of the hitch on the trailer to a point near the extreme inside edge of the tire on the axle. Note this point and repeat the measurement for the other side of the axle. Adjust them both so that
a. the axle is located in the center of the leaf spring, and
b. so that the distance of each end of the axle from the center of the hitch is equal.

Summary, this will easily fix the issue.
But, since this is a new rig, take the boat and trailer back to the dealer and tell them that you will wait the 15 minutes that is all that should be required to fix the problem. Don't let them put you into a two week waiting list.

good luck
REW