Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Suggestions for cheap jigging rod/reel for a friend I'm taking to Canada - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Wallhanger

I've had good luck with the Fenwick Eagle spinning rod. In my opinion, if your friend isn't going to fish a lot, rod sensitivity is probably more important than paying for extra reel bearings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016, 05:21 PM
Wallhanger

Cabelas or Bass Pro combos with a Pflueger President reel (9+1 bearings) and matched rod $79.99. Several to choose from in rod lengths, actions and reel sizes. I'm partial to the 6930 and 6935.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/pflue...resident+combo
Old 08-07-2016, 05:34 AM
Minnow

Some good suggestions listed, appreciate the advice. Any word or feedback on the Shimano Stimula rods? Has anyone used one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/daiw.../0000000239180
Old 08-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
Cabelas or Bass Pro combos with a Pflueger President reel (9+1 bearings) and matched rod $79.99. Several to choose from in rod lengths, actions and reel sizes. I'm partial to the 6930 and 6935.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/pflue...resident+combo
x2 on the pflueger president combo,best bang for the buck imo
Old 08-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Wallhanger

I like the Pflueger Trion Spinning Rod and Reel Combo at basspro for $60. I like the Trion spinning reels better than President, FWIW.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:05 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
6.5' ml berkley lightning rod paired with a pflueger trion and some 8lbs suffix braid. I use this combo all the time and have never had a problem with it. Its light weight. Sensitive. And doesnt cost a fortune.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I found a couple of lightning rods locally for $29 each, and the Pflueger trion's on eBay for $27 shipped. I think he'll be in business with this combo. Seems like a nice setup for under $60. I bought 2 sets, good to have backups and extra equipment when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Wondered if anyone has used the newer carbon fiber lightning rod SHOCK version, as I saw those on the shelves also for $39 each. No one mentioned these, and I didn't want to be a guinea pig with the carbon fiber.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalEnergy View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions. I found a couple of lightning rods locally for $29 each, and the Pflueger trion's on eBay for $27 shipped. I think he'll be in business with this combo. Seems like a nice setup for under $60. I bought 2 sets, good to have backups and extra equipment when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Wondered if anyone has used the newer carbon fiber lightning rod SHOCK version, as I saw those on the shelves also for $39 each. No one mentioned these, and I didn't want to be a guinea pig with the carbon fiber.
I'll be surprised if you are not well pleased. Good fishing!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:19 AM
Slot Fish

I also found the Trion at cabellas. I thought I'd like to have a pfluefer and it was only $50 (in canada eh). Assumed it would be just a spare in my boat for kids, friends, etc. but it is now my go to rod for jigging. I love it. Light and super smooth. 6 pound mono on a ml 6 foot rod and it is a sweet setup.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Keeper

Default rod and reel combo

Here is the link for a sale price at Bass Pro Shop. This may be what you're looking for. http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Trio...RODUCT_FS_VTB2