Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New to trolling- Dumb question... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-31-2014, 02:20 PM
Minnow

Default New to trolling- Dumb question...

This may sound dumb, but after using planer boards for the first time last night (with a buddy that just ordered them, and used them for the first time as well), we are hooked. He got the Off-Shore Tackle boards with tattle flags. They worked awesome...

My question: How do you know if you have a fish WITHOUT a flag? We could barely tell that we had a fish on the boards, except for the flag was down. When using lead core on long rods out to the side (and back), we watch the rod tips- but with the boards, they weren't moving at all when a fish was on.

I also need somebody to remind me how dumb trolling is. I hated it before this year, and have been hammering the 'eyes for the past month doing it! This has been like picking up a whole new hobby, and my bank account has reflected that!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 03:16 PM
Slot Fish

Default Angle

I usually spend a ton of hours watching Offshores each year...

If you have multiple boards out on each side you can look and see if the "position" changes, ie if one board is further forward or behind the other one. Think of it like the V pattern of geese as they fly with the boat being the front goose, they all should be in a nice line...when one is not it is time to check for weeds on the board or a fish.

The other way I usually can telif there is a fish/bite are if back of the board tips down slightly, and how the road is loaded up. From the angle of the board standpoint if a fish grabs the bait and is swiming along with it, the back of the board will be pulled down and the nose of the board will tip up slightly (hard to see with waves). If you are using a rod with a fast x-fast tip the rod will load up a bit more and indicate a strike as well.

Good luck and welcome to the world of trolling with Offshores.

Last edited by bogey; 07-31-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:35 PM
Minnow

From what you just told me, it sounds like tattle flags on boards are the way to go, and are worth the money...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 07:10 AM
Slot Fish

You can also adjust your drag. Put the clicker on, and loosend up the drag until the slightest increase in pressure will peel line out.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

When I trolled a ton on lake Michigan, I used Yellow birds. When a fish would hit, the line would release and the board and fish would slowly wind up behind the boat with the rod bobbing in the holder.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

there is no such thing as a dumb question except the one never asked.

like said above let your boards out in a v pattern. line up the boards when you let them out so thay are all inline. then when you get a fish that board will usually be out of line with the other boards. and usually the back of the board will tip down in the back and up in the front. but the flags is the best way to go. if your using inline weights to get your lure down and if the weights pulls the flag down you can add a rubber band to your flag to make if harder to pull down.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Wallhanger

When you inline disappears for minutes on end it's a good bet something is going on..

Like others have said, look for the boards to be doing something different, time on the water is your best learning tool imho.

Al
Old 08-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Wallhanger

The flags are best. You can shorten the spring to increase tension if needed. I had to do this because the flags were always running nearly all the way down all the time.

But if the fish has any size they will pull the board backwards. but the flags are the best way.