Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Co Pilot Has lost its Mind - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-19-2012, 05:21 AM
Minnow

Default Co Pilot Has lost its Mind

Hello,
I have a 24v / 80lb Terrova with Co Pilot. The Co Pilot has developed a problem in that it intermittently does whatever the heck it wants ranging from not responding at all to over steering, under steering or spinning round and around.
My local MK service center suggested a new receiver to, as they put it, "see if that fixes it". When I asked, "What if it doesn't?" they had nothing more to offer.

As I had an electronic compass physically break in my old Minn Kota I took the head cover off the Terrova and checked the compass in it but it was fine. I changed the batteries in the remote control and checked that the trolling batteries were fully charged.
The motor does work and respond OK using the foot pedal so I have to think that the Co Pilot is the problem so I spoke with MK and they said they had never heard of such a problem which I know isn't true as I have read their responses to other guys emails to them about this same thing that the guys posted on line.
Also,I did a Google search on "Minn Kota Co Pilot" and ""Minn Kota Co Pilot Problems"" was in the top 5 responses. A thing doesn't get number 5 in a Google search unless a lot of folks have been looking for it.
MK simply told me to get a new receiver but when I asked if the replacement would have the same issue or had they identified and fixed it the answer again was that they had never heard of such a problem.

I have no problem springing for the new receiver but I don't want to be 1 receiver richer and 150 bucks poorer and still have the issue.

What is you guys' experiences with this?

Thanks...W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Mine did that due to low voltage. Keep in mind your batteries could be fully charged, but there could be a poor connection somewhere. I'd clean and inspect every connection, from the batteries to any splice and the trolling motor plug.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
Mine did that due to low voltage. Keep in mind your batteries could be fully charged, but there could be a poor connection somewhere. I'd clean and inspect every connection, from the batteries to any splice and the trolling motor plug.

Shellback is right on, I would look for a leak in power somewhere. Look at all connections. I had somewhat the same problem once and the wire splicer was corroded.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman View Post
Hello,
I have a 24v / 80lb Terrova with Co Pilot. The Co Pilot has developed a problem in that it intermittently does whatever the heck it wants ranging from not responding at all to over steering, under steering or spinning round and around.
My local MK service center suggested a new receiver to, as they put it, "see if that fixes it". When I asked, "What if it doesn't?" they had nothing more to offer.

As I had an electronic compass physically break in my old Minn Kota I took the head cover off the Terrova and checked the compass in it but it was fine. I changed the batteries in the remote control and checked that the trolling batteries were fully charged.
The motor does work and respond OK using the foot pedal so I have to think that the Co Pilot is the problem so I spoke with MK and they said they had never heard of such a problem which I know isn't true as I have read their responses to other guys emails to them about this same thing that the guys posted on line.
Also,I did a Google search on "Minn Kota Co Pilot" and ""Minn Kota Co Pilot Problems"" was in the top 5 responses. A thing doesn't get number 5 in a Google search unless a lot of folks have been looking for it.
MK simply told me to get a new receiver but when I asked if the replacement would have the same issue or had they identified and fixed it the answer again was that they had never heard of such a problem.

I have no problem springing for the new receiver but I don't want to be 1 receiver richer and 150 bucks poorer and still have the issue.

What is you guys' experiences with this?

Thanks...W

I have the exact same setup as you do, and I was having the same type of things happen after a couple seasons of no problems. Rather than pay to have it troubleshot, I just went with an Ipilot and never looked back. Much better system!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Minnow

Thanks for your responses.
I had considered taking the $150 it would cost to replace the CoPilot and investing it in the IPilot.
It would seem only sensible to check the the entire TM wiring/connectors and if in any doubt replace it with some good quality marine grade cables before I do anything.
Thanks again...W
Old 03-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

If it's a power problem, it will follow you to the I-pilot too.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Keeper

Just a suggestion:

If after you check what Shellback suggest, and/or before you spend a bunch of $$, go buy another fob (remote) and see if that doesn't take care of your problem.
I had similar problems that you describe (different mdl) and found that it was the fob. 2 trips to a warranted repair facility convinced me to get extra remotes at $37 ea. They last about 2 yrs w/heavy use.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Keeper

Default Low voltage

My problem was where the TM plugs in at the bow. Nothing loose, needed to clean the plug.

“Most of the world is covered by water. A fisherman’s job is simple: Pick out the best parts.”
–Charles Waterman

Tidewater 1900, F115
Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Wallhanger

Default I know on older units without electronic compass have issues

Liquid compass causes issues either it gets low or something else. There are steps to adjust pots. I had no luck and purchased new electric compass in head. Worked brilliantly after and then sold boat. If yours is older and ipilot is available might not be bad idea.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Wallhanger

I have the samw issues with mine on a powerdrive. The lady at minnkota said it was the reciever. But out of blue sitting at home mine just starts beeping.

It pretty much has stopped doing anything the r.emote wants it to do. I have tried other remotes as well. I jave not checked connections but when i dig it out in a couple weeks i will go throught it and see if it is still havin fits.