Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
80# Terrova to 36v?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Minnow

Default 80# Terrova to 36v??

I just bought a Skeeter 2050 that came with a 101# maxxum and is rigged with a 36 volt system. My other boat had an 80# terrova which I like better than the Maxxum motor and I am going to swap motors. Can I run my 24 volt terrova off of a 36 volt system or am I going to overheat the motor and ruin it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Keeper

It shouldn't be too hard to rewire the batteries to 24 volt. Take a battery out.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Two less jumpers between the batteries. Use exisiting wiring. Isulate off your extra charger wires with tape cause I'm guessing a 36v Terrova is in your future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the input. I talked with a minnkota repair guy and he said not to do it as I will blow my lower unit on the motor out. I wanted to get around from having to change the wiring but it wont be a huge deal. Going to try the 80# Terrova for the year since I just bought it about 10 months ago. If I need to go to the 101# it wont be a huge deal.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Just remember that current drain will be higher with the 24vdc system so wire gauge will be important to note. Should be #6 in my opinion.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Not much at all for you to change out really! Simply disconnect the negative lead (-) that goes to the TM, remove the Jumper wire from the positive (+) post of that battery to the negative (-) post of the next battery, then connect the negative (-) lead of the trolling motor to the negative (-) post that you just removed the "jumper" wire from! This will give you your required 24 volts and leave you with an extra battery to utilize for something else! If you "remove" that spare/extra battery, disconnect and tape off the ends of the leads going to the charger, but do not tape them together, keep them separate and tape them up good!