Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fly Fishing for Walleye - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-22-2018, 11:36 AM
bigroot

Post Fly Fishing for Walleye

Has anyone ever tried to fish for Walleye with a fly rod in Canada. If so, did you have any luck and, if you did, any tips you can share to a novice would be appreciated. Dry fly, wet fly, floating line, sinking line, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Minnow

I have before with a 6wt fly rod up north using a sink tip on the end of my floating line casting wooly buggers towards rising fish. This was during a mayfly hatch so not sure how you would target them once they go deeper
Old 06-23-2018, 07:09 AM
Wallhanger

I’ve caught them in rivers while fishing streamers for bass or trout. Stripping a streamer on a sinking line ought to work so long as the fish are shallow enough. I don’t think you would feel them take a nymph, you would have to fish that under an indicator.

I’d recommend lead eye streamers like a clouser or rabbit strip that imitates a leech. Those are just glorified jigs, anyway. Combined with a sinking line you can get down a max of 10’ and still have enough tension on the line to feel a strike. Weed edges, rock flats and shoreline breaks are where I’d try. You’ll get smallmouth if you don’t get walleye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2018, 11:48 AM
Minnow

A couple of years ago one of our guys caught some nice size Walleye throwing a large surface lure at dark.
I think it was called the klacker (Bass Lure) as we were jigging the edge of a sand bar he was catching 25 inch Walleye in 2 - 4’ Of water.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:13 PM
Minnow

We got quite a few walleyes on fly rods using clouser minnows while fishing the Asheweig River for brook trout. We used a sink tip fly line. We were fishing below waterfalls in deeper pools. A jig and twister tail on a spinning rod was more effective, but it can be done.