Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Thieves at The Fishing Crew Event - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 05-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Dismayed

Default Thieves at The Fishing Crew Event

Why are we not seeing a bit of banter here about Kit Cline and his partner Kevin having to go through the horrendous experience of having all of their crankbaits and 21 rods gutlessly stolen from their boat prior to the Platte Tournament? I would think that this would warrant some serious discussion amongst all of the Anglers, Motel Owners, Law Enforcement, and Tournament Officials as well. One would think with this many people around, someone would have seen or heard of something relating to this.

As Tournament Fisherman we are all competitors, but we must also stand together as Brothers when the low life element creeps in and puts a tarnish on us all. There has already been more than enough negative things happen due to the dishonest actions of just a very few individuals already. We need to put a stop to this and clean up our collective act by someone doing the right thing and coming forward. This is not "ratting" someone out. Rather the opposite, it amounts to an honorable act that ensures Justice is served, the injured parties see some remedy, and the perpetrators are exposed for what they are...COMMON THIEVES.

As someone who was went through this, I know exactly how these guys are feeling. Yes, Insurance may help to replace some of the equipment-but boys-this is not the point. It is the gut wrenching feeling of betrayal that is nearly impossible to erase. The only soothing thing these fellas can possible see from this whole episode is that someone from their ranks steps forward and helps bring this to a conclusion. This would go a long way in restoring some of the trust and camaraderie that should be a natural part of fishing Tournaments.

I believe Kit has posted a $2,000 Reward for information leading to the arrest of these spineless criminals. Please help him out and help clear our ranks of this kind of behavior. It is for the good of us all.

Kit's contact information is kit.cline@msn.com or you can call him at 605-430-1609
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

It seems from your post that you think this might be an "inside job".

Certainly this crime is not much different than many crimes committed across the country on any day of the week. If we as fisherman, with similar interests, banded together, would it make any difference to the outcome as to whether the perp gets caught or not. Doubtful, in my opinion.

You've made this out IMO to be only solveable if we "stand together" as Brothers. Fact is, if I see someone getting ripped off or are violated in anyway, I would be more than happy to report my observations. Might even get directly involved. It's not because I belong to some group though, it's just who I am. And I believe most folks are that way.

So, you asking a few folks on WC to Band Together won't change anything. Just saying.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Dismayed

Default Really?

Not saying whether this is an "Inside Job" or any other kind of Job for that matter. The idiots who did this need to find a Job or get a better Job so they don't don't have to steal others equipment.

So you are saying that we should not police our own ranks? Come on now. This kind of thing is exactly why we need to band together. Yes, many folks would not let any injustice ride if they had information that would help.

BUT, there are just as many who just don't want to become involved or be seen as a Narc. This kind of attitude is predominantly why many crimes simply amount to a report being filed and that is the end of it. My God, just ask any cop worth his badge and they will tell you this.

ANY information on this will be helpful and the more folks that know, the higher the likelihood that something useful will come to light. This is my opinion anyway and am now even more dismayed that someone like yourself would feel that the efforts and input from Anglers would not be helpful. Almost seems as though you are discouraging the thought of a Fisherman coming forward. Maybe I am reading the intent of what you are saying wrong, I certainly hope so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Keeper

Well. Sorry to say he is not the first to get ripped off at a event and wont be the last. The bad element gets drawn to the money people when they bunch up.

Fact of your post is this, you sound like you are blaming someone participating in the event for taking his stuff, or someone in the event seeing who did it and not turning them in. Are you for real? Asking us to "CLEAN OUR SPORT UP"?

Not sure how long you been around but thieves are not usually stupid. They are good at what they do. As being one of the many others who have lost equipment can attest, make sure your insurance is in order.

Do not come on here strutting around. Me and many other competitors at tournaments take offense to this.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Dismayed

Default Settle Down

Common sense would tell me that someone who has an interest in Fishing was involved. Particularly as they were very selective in what they took. They knew exactly what they wanted and left the rest untouched. Someone looking to just pawn or sell equipment would have taken every darn thing.

As everyone on here is a Fisherman-whether competitively or not-that puts us all in the same boat. And I am sure there were a lot of fisherman around when this occurred who may have seen something a bit odd or out of place and thought nothing of it. If only a few people know what happened, then what may have been seen and not thought much of at the time would go un-reported. Therefore my comments on the subject. No one is "Strutting" and if you take offense, that was un-intended, but definitely your right.

You do everyone a service and raise a very valid point about the Insurance. Everyone needs to have a direct conversation with their Agent about what is-and is not covered. Particularly if fishing a Tournament or even taking on an occasional Guide client as the Insurance Companies may look at this as a "for profit" endeavor and deny any coverage altogether.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Keeper

Yeah....I just don't get it. A couple of guys get their personal belongings stolen, it is brought up....and the person who brings it up gets ran down for it. Why?? I read the post and don't see him blaming a fellow angler. I see him asking for anyone (probably an angler) who may have seen anything to come forward. Maybe someone reading this post will have some of the equipment offered to him for sale? Maybe this post will spur their thinking on where the stuff would have came from? If it was some slug who stole the stuff, chances are they plan to sell it....or maybe they will jack a boat next and start tourney fishing?? LOL

Has the whole world came to terms with theives stealing what's not theirs? The same people telling someone that it was THEIR FAULT their stuff got stolen are usually the same people who will scream murder if anything goes missing from them.

It's an awful feeling getting your personal stuff stolen. It is even worse when you know the police are too busy fighting "real crime" to do anything about it. Personally I wish the penalty for theft was much more harsh where I live. Wishful thinking or not, hopefully someone knows something about this theft.

Well there's my rant I guess. I can't stand the thought of theives or anyone telling the victim they should have secured their stuff better (so it's their fault). I work too many hours to have some slug steal from me, as I'm sure the rest of you do too.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Slot Fish

is their anything unique about his gear? i live in the area and fished the tournament and have been keeping my eyes and ears open for anyone trying to move equipment. just wonder if he had any kind of marking or anything on a tackle box or something i can watch for?
Old 05-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Wallhanger

Default am I mssing something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismayed View Post
Why are we not seeing a bit of banter here about Kit Cline and his partner Kevin having to go through the horrendous experience of having all of their crankbaits and 21 rods gutlessly stolen from their boat prior to the Platte Tournament?

Kit's contact information is kit.cline@msn.com or you can call him at 605-430-1609
I am guessing there is no banter because no one made a post. Did you consider making one earlier yourself?

That said, I would suggest that someone post a list of the type of rods and reels that were taken so locals to the area can keep an eye out on craigs list etc. Without that type of info will be difficult for anyone to help out and I am confident that the vast majority of anyone with info would be glad to help; to suggest otherwise is presumptuous.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilguy View Post
Yeah....I just don't get it. A couple of guys get their personal belongings stolen, it is brought up....and the person who brings it up gets ran down for it. Why?? I read the post and don't see him blaming a fellow angler. I see him asking for anyone (probably an angler) who may have seen anything to come forward. Maybe someone reading this post will have some of the equipment offered to him for sale? Maybe this post will spur their thinking on where the stuff would have came from? If it was some slug who stole the stuff, chances are they plan to sell it....or maybe they will jack a boat next and start tourney fishing?? LOL

Has the whole world came to terms with theives stealing what's not theirs? The same people telling someone that it was THEIR FAULT their stuff got stolen are usually the same people who will scream murder if anything goes missing from them.

It's an awful feeling getting your personal stuff stolen. It is even worse when you know the police are too busy fighting "real crime" to do anything about it. Personally I wish the penalty for theft was much more harsh where I live. Wishful thinking or not, hopefully someone knows something about this theft.

Well there's my rant I guess. I can't stand the thought of theives or anyone telling the victim they should have secured their stuff better (so it's their fault). I work too many hours to have some slug steal from me, as I'm sure the rest of you do too.
I don't see anywhere in the posts above yours that someone got ran down. So I can't answer your question as to, why? Regarding your wishful thinking or not.... my point was that if someone knows about this situation, more than likely they've already turned in that information. Certaily they weren't just sitting around waiting for someone Dismayed to bring up the subject on WC before taking action.

Suggesting that the "whole world" has come to terms with folks stealing that which does not belong to them. That seems a silly question but hey, some folks think that way. The sky is falling too.

I'll bet that you've worked very hard for what you have and you deserve to keep it. I think though that you have taken steps to secure what belongs to you and not make it so easy for others to take it away from you. Many cultures of this world find it more embarrassing to be the victim because they failed to take appropriate steps to protect what is their's. Perhaps this failure occured in the Cline boat. Maybe. Regardless, it is a bummer to experience such a loss. And I hope in this case it didn't affect the outcome of the tournament. I also hope they catch the SOB perp and that the contestants get all of their belongings back.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Minnow

Default $2,000 Reward

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm not looking to start a bebate. I'm simply asking for information about the equipment that was stolen from my boat. On the evening of 5 May or the moring of 6 May. I had fished one tournament saturday and scheduled to fish another one on sunday. My pickup and covered boat were parked in a well lit hotel parking lot with other rigs and boats. Very public in small town USA.

Nothing very unique about my equipment. Scheels 12' trolling rods with Diawa line counters, Scheels 10'6" trolling rods with Diawa line counters, Scheels 5' trolling rods with Diawa line counter and Okuma line counters, Fenwick rigging rods with Plueger, Fenwick jigging rods with Plueger, Cabela's Fish Eagle with Diawa, full range of crank baits (all the standard stuff from reef runners to rapalas), some custom trolling spinners, custom jigging spoons, etch. The crank boxes vary, but several of them have crank type, depth, color selection for various conditions, and other information written on them. One is signed by Keith Kavajecz with a message from the 1st Annual South Dakota Walleye Classic Texas Hold Em Tournament. The equipment is very identifiable to me, but probably not to others. Some of the crannks have special hook split rings or special hooks. Like your equipment, mine has unique nicks and scratches known only to me.

Bottom Line - for the most part I can replace the equipment. What I can't replace is the hours spent tuning cranks, sorting through those that seem to catch a few more fish, custom tackle given to me by friends, and those special baits. Like the reef runner my daughter (my favorite fishing partner) selected out of a bargin bin (color no longer in production) that she has caught numerous 6+ lb walleyes on. It is tuned right. What I can't replace is the trust violated by someone selecting my boat out of fifty other boats (most or all much nicer than mine), taking my cover off, going through every storage compartment, hand picking the equipment, leaving other equipment of equal value and easier to remove, and than closing all the compartments and snapping the cover back in place. I can assure you someone spent a good half hour in my boat!

Let me be clear, many of the other Anglers offered help in the form or equipment for the tournament, a hand, a sorry, etch....And I am very thankful! All I'm asking, if someone remembers something odd or strange, give me a call 605-430-1609. I don't believe this was random crack head driving though that decided to stop and check out my boat. I work hard for my money to support my fishing habit, so its hard to accept years of assembling equipment is gone without at least asking for help in the form of information! After all, my equipment is gone, its your equipment they are looking at now!