Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling Set Up - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Minnow

Default Trolling Set Up

Pals,
Need some help with some trolling advice for the Missouri River. Im looking at getting the St. Criox Eyecon trolling rods. Two at 7 feet and Two at 9ft. paired with Cabela's Depthmaster Metal Linecounter Trolling Reels. Any suggestions on if this would be an ideal setup and if so, what would lb test would you run on them. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWALLEYE71 View Post
Pals,
Need some help with some trolling advice for the Missouri River. Im looking at getting the St. Criox Eyecon trolling rods. Two at 7 feet and Two at 9ft. paired with Cabela's Depthmaster Metal Linecounter Trolling Reels. Any suggestions on if this would be an ideal setup and if so, what would lb test would you run on them. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sounds like a good setup to me, much better then the setup i run (my trolling combos all cost me under $100 for rod+reel+line). Its pretty much the standard when trolling to use either 10lb mono or 10lb fireline (4lb test). You could prolly use other line but keep in mind it will effect your dive depths (i personally run 10 and 20lb braid (4lb and 6lb test)) and it is a hardly noticable effect on the dive depths.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Wallhanger

Default St Croix - overkill

I love St. Croix rods, but think they are overkill for trolling. There are many very good rods you can pick up in the $35-45 range and take the extra money and buy the Diawa Accudepth Plus reels or sealines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Wallhanger

I agree on overkill. All 8 of my combos are med-lite uglystik tigers 4 in 8' and 4 in 9' with accudepth line counters. The key is to use the same line weight and style and same size reels so you can reproduce the presentation and then switch over easily to the setup thats working. I have an eyecon I use for bottom bouncing, its a great rod, and several st. croix for jigging and other styles of fishing, where a great rod is a must, but trolling isnt really one of those situations. Ive landed huge stripers and musky on my trolling rods w no problems at all
Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Wisconsin View Post
I love St. Croix rods, but think they are overkill for trolling. There are many very good rods you can pick up in the $35-45 range and take the extra money and buy the Diawa Accudepth Plus reels or sealines.
Have to agree trolling is not finesse fishing. My main reason for choosing a trolling rod in the 8`6 is that it collapses into the handle to fit in the rod locker, my 10 footers are two piece and what a pain to me any way.

Scheels has a pretty good setup 7 foot rod and Accudepth for $49.95, pretty decent rod to boot.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Wallhanger

Lake Wisconsin has good advice. Don't waste your money on expensive rods for trolling. Put your money in to the reel instead. $40.00 would be an absolute max for me on a trolling rod.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Minnow

My 8ft 2pc Eyecon trolling rod arrived today, I am pairing it with the Okuma Coldwater CW-153DLX. I am super impressed with the Eyecon on dry land and can't wait to pull some crankbaits with it.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Wisconsin View Post
X2

Put the $$ in quality line counter reels and less $ in the rods for trolling. Same amount of backing and the same amount of line on each reel. For me, the main line is 20 pound power pro but I do switch to 10 pound mono on occasion. I'd stick with power pro or fireline trolling on the Missouri River.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Wallhanger

Default Agree with most of the posters

I agree with most of the posters, I troll a lot of plugs up and down the Missouri. I have two cabela's depth masters 8'6 and two Shimano TDR's... i think the most I paid was 29.99. I bought two daiwa accudepths and two scheels branded okomas, I took the okomas back...not a fan. I just bought two more accudepths. Before buying these new ones I had used Shimano bantums LC's for years...one of them broke and I couldn't get it fixed and was very angry about it. If not for that I would have went tekotas. Anyway, I am rambling now...Spend the bucks on reels, not on the rods! You will never regret it.
Hummibird 898
Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Minnow

The main selling feature for me on the Okuma was that it is available in Left hand version. I have always used Shimano for my spinning reels and had the Tekota came in left hand I would have snatched it up with out a question