Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
painting jigs - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Slot Fish

Default painting jigs

When painting jigs I usually heat jig and then dip into powder paint. Jig looks good but after time the paint starts falling off in jig box. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Wallhanger

You need to cure the paint in an oven at 300 degrees for around 20 minutes. If you do not cure it, it will be like glass and crack and flake off. Take the jigs you have that still look good and cure them.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Wallhanger

Default Jig painting

I've been painting jigs for several years now and have finally become satisfied with my resulting jigs. I use the hemostat/torch method for painting. One of my keys was learning to "fluff" the powder paint in a shallow dish. I drag both sides of the heated jig across the surface of the paint to get a uniform coating that melts onto the jig. I take great care to not get paint on the eye of the hook. I sometimes use my thumb nail to remove surplus paint from the shaft of the hook.

The previous post mentioned heating the jigs in an oven to cure the paint. Without this step, you have already learned that the paint will eventually flake off the jig. The heating/curing step really locks the paint onto my jigs. Find out what the manufacturer of your paint recommends for time and temperature. My paint needs thirty minutes at 250 degrees F.

I offer the following tip: don't use your kitchen oven for this curing step. Any paint that might drip off your jig will be welded onto your oven. It can be fairly smelly as well. I have a small electric, countertop "pizza" type convection oven that I use in the garage. I just hang the jigs by their hooks on the oven rack that slides out of the oven. Be sure that no jigs are touching one another as you may not get them apart after they are cured.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Wallhanger

Default Exactly

I found two ovens at a barely used shop or pawn shop. One for heating jig heads before painting and the other to cure the paint works great.

Here is what I do.

1) the jig heads in one oven on the rack.
2) Dip them in powder paint.
3) Put them in the 2nd oven to cure.

Works great.....
Old 02-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Wallhanger

Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
I've been painting jigs for several years now and have finally become satisfied with my resulting jigs. I use the hemostat/torch method for painting. One of my keys was learning to "fluff" the powder paint in a shallow dish. I drag both sides of the heated jig across the surface of the paint to get a uniform coating that melts onto the jig. I take great care to not get paint on the eye of the hook. I sometimes use my thumb nail to remove surplus paint from the shaft of the hook.

The previous post mentioned heating the jigs in an oven to cure the paint. Without this step, you have already learned that the paint will eventually flake off the jig. The heating/curing step really locks the paint onto my jigs. Find out what the manufacturer of your paint recommends for time and temperature. My paint needs thirty minutes at 250 degrees F.

I offer the following tip: don't use your kitchen oven for this curing step. Any paint that might drip off your jig will be welded onto your oven. It can be fairly smelly as well. I have a small electric, countertop "pizza" type convection oven that I use in the garage. I just hang the jigs by their hooks on the oven rack that slides out of the oven. Be sure that no jigs are touching one another as you may not get them apart after they are cured.

Spot on
Old 02-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Wallhanger

Not powder paint, but I need to cure sealer I use on spoons. I hit up a 2nd hand store and picked up a toaster oven for 5$. Been using it for 4 years now.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Default ohoh......

You guys never mentioned paint dripping off jigs when curing them......... until now ..!!

Guess I got lucky since I have been using my wife's relatively new convection oven oven for curing jigs without a pan under it. Looked and no paint on the oven floor after I did a big bunch today.

Pooch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jigs curing.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	133162  

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 02-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Wallhanger

Default Questions for Gary K.

Your idea of pre-heating the jigs in an oven is interesting to me. To what temperature do you pre-heat your jigs? How many do you take out of the oven at a time? In other words, are you concerned about how quickly/slowly the jigs cool?

Thanks for sharing your idea. I will have to check out your idea when I make my jigs this spring for the upcoming season.

Regards....
Old 02-21-2015, 09:29 PM
Wallhanger

Default Reply to Pooch

Let's just say that I learned the lesson the hard way about paint dripping off some of the jigs onto my wife's oven. The good thing is that very few jigs ever drip some paint. The bad thing is that it only takes one around our house to get noticed. I wonder if the paint manufacturers will ever offer a color of paint that matches the inside of kitchen ovens?

Old 02-22-2015, 03:51 AM
Wallhanger

Default Glad to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
Your idea of pre-heating the jigs in an oven is interesting to me. To what temperature do you pre-heat your jigs? How many do you take out of the oven at a time? In other words, are you concerned about how quickly/slowly the jigs cool?

Thanks for sharing your idea. I will have to check out your idea when I make my jigs this spring for the upcoming season.

Regards....
The little ovens I use have racks and pans I put jigs before I paint them, on the pans forward from the back.
Close the door and preheat heat to 300 to 350 degrees, doesn't take very long. The second oven is next to it and the powder paint vessel is between the two ovens. With surgical forceps or long handle hook out, I take one jig from the pan in first hot oven dip it in the powder paint and put it on the rack of the second oven. When I have all the jigs I am going to paint in the second oven, set the timer for 30 minutes and the temp at 300 degrees. Oven will shut off automatically.

In the first oven when the red light turns off I know the interior of the oven is the proper temperature. Really doesn't take vey long to preheat either

Remember these ovens are designed to heat up quickly and they do.

I got my two ovens at barely used or 2nd hand shops, think I got both for $50.00 actually my wife got them, she was inspired with the risk I would use one of her good ovens in the house.

Another tip I keep the powder paint in my bait refrigerator in the shop I have. Keeps the paint real fluffy and works well when dipping the jigs.

Need to go to the shop today will check my settings for you.

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 02-22-2015 at 03:55 AM.