Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
PWT Payout - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 07-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Keeper

Default RE: PWT Payout

Im sure the costs are much higher than that probably close to double goin to arkansas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Keeper

Im sure the costs are much higher than that probably close to double goin to arkansas.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 AM
bwaly

They probably spent closer to $4000 each. A fisherman taking 4th place is a great accomplishment but it didn't even cover the bills in a professional setting so when will they start paying them like they are PRO'S. These guys would be better off getting real jobs or they will go bankrupt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 AM
bwaly

They probably spent closer to $4000 each. A fisherman taking 4th place is a great accomplishment but it didn't even cover the bills in a professional setting so when will they start paying them like they are PRO'S. These guys would be better off getting real jobs or they will go bankrupt!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

IMHO -from watching the tourney results from the high entry $$$$ pro-majors recently. It looks like close to 80-90% donators & 10-20% break even to money winners in the top 10-20%. It's become a rich man's sport for the donators -or- those who play the high-stakes game for a few years w/short term cash reserves, unless they have the skills to make it to the top 10-20% & push out some of the ex/borderline pros...

It seems w/the present pay-out format that the higher entry fees the lower the turn-out on many tourneys, unless the tourney is held in a high use area & even then the turn-out is usually lower...

Anywho ~ I'll always be a watcher from the 'cheap-seats w/interest in each tourney.

da old fart,
Bebob da I-Bobray
Old 07-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Add about $700-$800 more to your vehicle fuel if your comming from the West..MT,ID,WA,OR

Looks like about 3400 miles R/T from Missoula,MT to Bull Shoals,AR.
Average 14 MPG pulling boat with tourney load and buying diesel at $4.60/Gal works out to $1117 in travel fuel cost and that is just destination and back. Add a week of trailering and driving around the tourney site and you burn another tank so add $130 to the above and your around $1250 in pickup fuel..So much for the $831 dollars earned in payout..
Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 AM
FAT LADY

Has sung or is about to sing...Not just tourney fishing, but many similar things in the modern day American way of life. Buying cheap stuff from overseas turns out isn't so cheap afterall.

Local tourneys are the only thing with an ROI and if nothng else they can be fun for all! Talk about getting kicked backwards to grass roots.

Will it ever return to as good as it recently was???
Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I know it's not the pro side but the am seems to be way down too. A few years ago the winning am would receive a bare bones boat. Now they get a Lowrance? $10,000 vs $1,500???
Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Merckid

Things change man. When you lose two sponsors like Lund and Mercury things are bound to change.

But what I laugh about is, why do so many people make such a huge deal about the prizes? The prizes should just be a bonus. The real fact is that your fishing with 3 top professionals, now I know not all of them are Kavajecz, Parsons, Gofron, Roach or many other very good sticks but the chance to draw one or even three of these caliber of fisherman should be what it's all about.

If you were to hire three of these guys for a day on the water your looking at, at least $350 a day and add in tips, your looking at well over a $1000 for three days of fishing. Your paying what $350-450, I can't remember the entry fee to fish and be around these guys for three days is what this should be about. The learning that comes from this is invaluable, this is what fishing as a co-angler should be about if you ask me.

So the next time you look to fish a professional tournament as a co-angler, think about the reasons why you want to do this. If your only in it for the prizes, then move on but if your there to learn and a chance to fish with a guy like Kavajecz, Parsons and many others, I'd highly suggest it!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Brain Washed

I see your still brainwashed by the idea of fishing with the legends. Most good guides I know will put you on fish, teach you how to catch them, clean them for you and provide your lunch for $250. Then the next day you can go out in your own boat and have a great time on your own. The incentive is no longer there for the pro am format in the PWT admit it.