Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
pointers please for raystown lake PA - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 08-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Default pointers please for raystown lake PA

is it worth the time to chase eyes on raystown? i hear lots of negative reports and the rumores that hugh stringers are caught at night. anybody have any experience here?

thanks,
phish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: pointers please for raystown lake PA

i've done a pretty extensive web search about raystown and always come up with stripers and their many guides - no walleye except for a mention about fishing in the springtime.

anyone have any pointers for making your rod bend on this lake? for any species?

thanks,
phish
Old 08-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Minnow

Go fishing at night for stripers and you'll catch walleye. No kidding. Throwing redfins on flat points always did the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Slot Fish

I just looked at the post dates. It took nearly 3 years to get a reply. The walleye fishing should be improving soon. The PFBC stopped stocking for 8 years to do a 5 year natural reproduction survey. During this time, we saw the fish in the lake grow to where 7 - 8 pounders were the average fish boated. Small fish became rare. The stocking program has resumed and we should start catching smaller fish along with the dwindling older population. In the spring, Eyes are known to spawn in trough creek. Not as many know they also spawn up near the power plant in saxton. Rig and jig points and weed edges and flats with timber in early season up til dark. After dark, pull big rapalas on the surface just fast enough to make a wake over 10-15 foot water near spawning areas for big eyes.

That being said, October has always been my best month for catching eyes in Raystown.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Minnow

I been fishing Raystown for over 20 years and only caught 3 walleye. I know others target them consistantly but I could never figure them out. Raystown seems to be different than most lakes. Mostly people who complain they don't catch anything are fishing the shorelines and are too shallow. Got to go deep most of the year. Most of my fish including stripers, smallmouth, lake trout are out in the middle of the lake 15-40 feet down depending on the time of year. I know most walleyes caught at raystown are caught at night.

Joe G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1035s.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	6646  
Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Keeper

Default Fishing Raystown

Hi,
I am thinking about taking my boys on a trip to Raystown as I have business in the area. The trip would replace our annual Canada trip. We've had great action in Canada and I'm wondering if we can find similar action on this lake. Am I better off hiring a guide at least the first day?
Thanks
Old 04-14-2012, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

I've fished Raystown and have had limited success on panfish and stripers. It's a tough lake to fish from most reports. Chances are you and your boys will be disappointed unless you use a guide. Take your boys to Canada, and use your trip to Raystown for a learning experience. I'll be heading back for sure, but it's not a place to entertain young fishermen.