Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Entry into Canada update - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Entry into Canada update

Received this yesterday and thought some may be interested

RED HOT GOOD NEWS ALERT!!!!!!
Welcome to Canada !

It is my extreme pleasure to tell everyone that I was honoured last Friday to be invited to a conference call from the Federal Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada who announced to us all privately that he signed into law last Friday, effective March 1st 2012, a new program for the border crossing issues involving minor misdemeanours.
This involves particularly, but not solely, DUI’s. These laws have now been relaxed making entry to Canada much easier with a one time minor offence.

He told us that anyone who is a single, one time offender of any misdemeanour including DUI, bar fights, assault, bad checks, etc. and who did not serve more than 6 months in jail will now be automatically allowed into Canada and not turned back with NO FEES required and they have also made the rehabilitation process much simpler, quicker and easy to fill out now too.

The Minister apologized to all of us in the tourism business and said it was never their intention for the law to go this far. They never meant for one time offenders, who made a single one time mistake sometime in their life, to not be permitted into Canada and he was changing this law to be effective right away, as of March 1st.

He explained that you can now fill out your rehabilitation forms as of March 1st at no cost and be automatically granted a one time pardon effective immediately March 1st, so you will not be stopped or turn back ever again for anyone with a one time offence.

If you do not fill out this form ahead of time then you simply get pulled over when attempting to cross and informed how to fill out the paperwork, but still allowed to cross over the border. If you never fill out the form it is our understanding that all that will happen is that you continue to get pulled over each time, so they can continue to explain what to do to get this erased from your record, but again you do not get denied entry for one time offenders and it does not make any difference if your offence was last week, last month or last year as there is no waiting time now at all to process rehabilitation like before when you had to wait 5 years for one time offenders, unless you had extenuating circumstances like a hit and run or manslaughter while DUI etc.

If you are a multiple offender and have more than one misdemeanour or DUI then it reverts back to the old law now currently on the books where you still have to wait 5 years from the date of your most recent conviction and then in this case you will have to pay the $200.00 fee and send in the rehabilitation forms after 5 years, which you will then be allowed to cross the border again.

I am so excited, I feel like we just won the lottery. The current rule has affected all Canadian tourism, coast to coast, in a devastating way and we have been fighting to change it for years. I was a huge outspoken advocate of changing this law and our Minister acknowledged this on the phone to everyone that he heard guys like Eric Brown loud and clear, which made me feel like a million bucks and very proud of my efforts to get this law changed now!

We will continue to send out more announcements as we learn more, as we were only on the phone with the Minister 30 minutes last Friday and he promised more details to follow after March 1st. We will be sure to send you the link to the Government of Canada website as soon as this information goes live on March 1st. The Minister wanted us to all hear the news from him personally to all those who fought so hard to have the old law changed! We wanted to pass this information on to you immediately, with the hopes that you start planning your 2012 Canadian fishing trip with Totem Resorts.

Have a great week everyone and YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay tuned for more details on our March 1st Newsletter.

Eric Brown
President and Owner
Totem Resorts
807-226-5275
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

That's good news. The one time offender needed some slack.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Until Jinx tells me it is true I won't believe it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Wallhanger

Default Great

Eric, the change in the law from my viewpoint is long overdue. It looks like you spent alot of time on this matter so Ill Thank you.

I never understood how a Minor violation in the US shut down travel for US citizens that spend ALOT of money on tourisum in Canada and help the economy.

As an owner of numerous small business's guests who want to enter and spend money in Canada would be a business plan which would be my first priority. Minor violation, let them in thats a no brainer to me. More people more dollars for the Canadian economy.

Ive gone to Canada north to Red Lake Ont. for over 35 years fishing and we would drive 12 hrs and fly into our cabin using Showalters service. Its been over six years since Ive gone because one or two members has a Minor DUI and will not pay $200.00 to get into Canada. Its like a slap in the face another $ 200.00 and each person will spend $1000.00 or more in a week X 8 guys I would take north.

Math you charge $200.00 to get in they spend $1000.00 and dont apply your LOSS $1000.00. to stimulate your Economy. You charge $200.00 to get back in and it takes 6 months to a year to get the paper work back. People dont like the hassle.

Now if someone had a DUI in Canada that was from the USA then charge them up.

Bob Auel

Last edited by fishnutbob; 02-24-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

My wife just read this and said to me "This is a good thing because if sexy is a crime you would not have been allowed in Canada".
Old 02-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Wallhanger

Everybody deserves a second chance.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich S View Post
My wife just read this and said to me "This is a good thing because if sexy is a crime you would not have been allowed in Canada".
Good one Rich! I've heard that in some parts of Wisconsin a beer gut hanging over your track pants is a real turn-on!

Regarding Eric's letter, I believe he may have jumped the gun and interpreted things incorrectly. The proposed change applies to those with a one time minor criminal charge...no matter how recent. That part is correct....but it is only a "one time" deal. In other words you get across once. Now, it was mentioned this was an interim step for this summer and further changes would be considered. Let's hope this will expand a bit to generally return some sanity back to the border. It will be effective March 1....I think waiting for the information to be released at that time is prudent. I will post any information at that time......especially since one member private messaged me and called bullsh#t on my initial post. Regardless, it is a good start and you can count on continued pressure for further changes. Fish on!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Wallhanger

I still can't understand how anyone can consider "assault, DUI, theft etc" as a "minor" offence. I'll wait to see this in actual writing before I believe anything about it. It sounds like political BS to me. Plus...if you guys are SOOOOO concerned why not petition YOUR OWN GOVERNMENT to do the same thing?

Canadians with a single criminal conviction are not allowed to enter the USA either. I don't hear you whining about that.

This whole topic is pure speculation until something comes out in official policy from the Federal Government.

Last edited by Juls; 02-25-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxCanada View Post
I still can't understand how anyone can consider "assault, DUI, theft etc" as a "minor" offence. I'll wait to see this in actual writing before I believe anything about it. It sounds like political BS to me. Plus...if you guys are SOOOOO concerned why not petition YOUR OWN GOVERNMENT to do the same thing?

Canadians with a single criminal conviction are not allowed to enter the USA either. I don't hear you whining about that.

This whole topic is pure speculation until something comes out in official policy from the Federal Government.
No Jinx....it is we Canadians who are concerned and have petitioned our government for this change. Don't worry, you will be notified in due course. In the mean time, would you like a little cheese with your whine?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bay gord View Post
No Jinx....it is we Canadians who are concerned and have petitioned our government for this change. Don't worry, you will be notified in due course. In the mean time, would you like a little cheese with your whine?

Sure....Swiss please.

As for Canadians petitioning for this change...that's complete BS. This is just another example of our government kissing the USA's a s s. Not to worry though...since they are not willing to spend any money to stop the Asian Carp from getting into the great lakes...fishing will be a thing of the past here very soon. Our boats will be worth about $10.00 once that happens....but hey... at least they are fighting for the rights of all their convicted criminals. I'm glad they have their priorities straight.