Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How can I increase trolling motor top speed? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Canoe head

Default How can I increase trolling motor top speed?

I have a traxxis and canoe and can only get 3.8mph and want to increase speed. Tried weedless wedge and power prop no real difference. Is there any props out there that will help give me more speed? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

a while back a member posted some results using a Kipawa prop.
https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...ghlight=kipawa

http://www.kipawapropellers.com/

HRG
Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

The best way that I have always found to increase the speed of a motor is to increase the power of the motor by removing the current motor and installing one that has more power with a larger size and larger pitch prop.

Good luck
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Bottom line - a motor only has so much power and spin a propellor only so fast.

If you try putting a larger prop on a motor that is not designed for it, the larger prop will simply spin more slowly so the net speed gain is 0 or negative.

Good luck
REW
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

If you want to go faster and not change the motor or battery, get rid of anything else in the canoe that has weight, and have yourself go on a diet to remove 50 or 100 lbs, even if you only weigh 50 or 100 lbs.

Less weight for the canoe, equals more speed with the same motor and prop.

REW

To go as fast as possible, you should be wearing only a swim suit, t shirt, a life jacket and there should be nothing else in the boat.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
If you want to go faster and not change the motor or battery, get rid of anything else in the canoe that has weight, and have yourself go on a diet to remove 50 or 100 lbs, even if you only weigh 50 or 100 lbs.

Less weight for the canoe, equals more speed with the same motor and prop.

REW

To go as fast as possible, you should be wearing only a swim suit, t shirt, a life jacket and there should be nothing else in the boat.
REW you had me laughing pretty hard with this one, all be it true, I loved the diet suggestion. I wonder if I lost 20lbs if I could get another .5mph too.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Wallhanger

If you are willing to sacrifice one of the stock props you could experiment with one.
Make a template for a pitch slightly higher than the current one and then place your prop in a convection oven on a metal sheet to re-pitch. Note that both sides need to be identical to prevent vibration and be sure to watch the item so it does not catch fire. Pre heat the oven prior to 450. This should allow you to sag the blades before the middle begins to deform. Once you have your template then the process to recreate is the same. To make the template you may just be able to use a small section of metal pipe in the right size and the right angle.

Would be fun trying anyway.

Bill
Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Broadway,
I agree that this would be a useful experiment.
However, a part of this issue is the difficulty in knowing the motor rpm.

If this is an electric trolling motor, how does one know how fast the blades of the prop are turning?

I know of no - easily accessible tach to use with an electric trolling motor.

I have optical tachs but those only work if the tach can see the blades of the turning prop. Tough if the prop is underwater.

One could wire up some sort of optical sensor that might word underwater to sense the turning prop, or I suppose that there might be some motors on the market that might integrate a tach sensor into the motor and make that information available top side.

REW
Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Wallhanger

years ago I fished all the time on a 12' boat and an old shakespeare trolling motor. The prop broke and the only replacement I could find was a metal one. It fit but was heavier and a little bigger than the old one. It made a huge difference. It was way faster!!! We loved it but sadly a few years later the old motor died. No idea where I got it...sorry.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Canoe Head

LOL Rew I could drop a few lbs but I'm talking about a canoe that weighs 50lbs and a 50lb thrust motor.

Changing props should help but wish I could find one that would give me a couple mph more. Doubt I'm coming anywhere near the max amp draw on it right now.