Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dog Repellent - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Keeper

Before I did anything I'd get a decent chunk of video that's dated to show this animal at his finest. I'd have it in a safe place so it could be shown from your perspective should the mutt need anything done cosmetically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

CTS, good advise.
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5
Old 04-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Minnow

We had the exact same problem a year ago. We had 4 instances where the dog got into our yard and the police were called everytime, infortunately they wouldn't do anything until someone was hurt. We ended up deciding our lives, pets, and childrens lives were more valuable than and temporary fix. We decided to move. It was tough financially and physically, but the peace of mind that comes with haveing a safe backyard was worth it in the long run!
Old 04-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by btyreprich View Post
With regards to potent chilies, I have heard there is no hotter or more potent chilies than the Ghost Peppers. Comes from India and I thought even elephants would touch them as food.
Might be worth your time to look into these.
yes, several peppers hotter than habaneros. cost can be a factor with some.

Women and Cats will do as they please.
Men and Dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert Heinlein

dis.ne.fi.ca.tion, (diz’ne fi ka shen) Amer, n, v.t., to disnefy; 1. genetic developmental disorder blocking completion of final growth stage of homo sapien.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Wallhanger

Default Dog repellent

If your daughter cannot or will not move, I think a much, much stronger fence is in order. While I am not a fan of chain link fences - don't like their looks - this might be the way to go.
A closed circuit TV monitor / recorder will be valuable to watch what is going on in the back yard and serve as evidence should the matter end up in court.
We do not get along with our one neighbor but I am so thankful that this type of a situation is not what I have to deal with.
Garmin
Old 04-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
Maybe a little dangerous, but if you were making repairs to the fence and if there was a temporary opening, and if the pit bull came into your yard through that opening and attacked the other dog, you would be within your rights to kill it on the spot.

Depends how handy you are with a pistol I guess.

I love dogs, but I have no pity for pit bulls or their owners.
Don't be too sure of that!!! I don't know the law where the OP lives, but in Michigan you'd be guilty of a crime for killing a dog that attacked your dog. You may kill a dog that attacks a person or livestock, but not one that attacks dogs or cats.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by btyreprich View Post
With regards to potent chilies, I have heard there is no hotter or more potent chilies than the Ghost Peppers. Comes from India and I thought even elephants would touch them as food.
Might be worth your time to look into these.
The elephant repellent story is true! My boss is from India and I grow Ghost Peppers as a side hobby and I asked him about it. lol If the OP wants some to use and make some hot sauce the dog will never forget, PM me.

The Ghost used to be the hottest in the world. Was surpassed about 2 years ago by the Trinidad Scorpion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ghostsummer.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	529.0 KB
ID:	143314  
Old 04-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Wallhanger

MrW states that the p.b. Is destroying the fence by physically throwing itself against it, not by licking it, eating it, or massaging it's back against it. So I'm not getting how "painting" the fence or lobbing a spiked meatball over the fence, which the dog will make absolutely no association with the fence, is going to stop the dog from beating it's brains out on the fence. Would seem to me that the point is to stop the dog from making physical contact with the fence, eh? I like the sheet rock screws through the fence, reinforcing the fence with 2x's or perhaps even laying an ambush near a hole in the fence with a cattle prod. Maybe even a very carefully and well directed blast of skunk scent through the fence when the dog gets too close.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Lunker View Post
MrW states that the p.b. Is destroying the fence by physically throwing itself against it, not by licking it, eating it, or massaging it's back against it. So I'm not getting how "painting" the fence or lobbing a spiked meatball over the fence, which the dog will make absolutely no association with the fence, is going to stop the dog from beating it's brains out on the fence. Would seem to me that the point is to stop the dog from making physical contact with the fence, eh? I like the sheet rock screws through the fence, reinforcing the fence with 2x's or perhaps even laying an ambush near a hole in the fence with a cattle prod. Maybe even a very carefully and well directed blast of skunk scent through the fence when the dog gets too close.
Dogs have amazing noses and great memory. They'll associate the burn with the smell. They don't even have to lick it. When I did it, the dog wouldn't come within 5 or 10' of the wires, let alone think about chewing them again. I like to eat hot things, obviously. lol Trained my dogs to quit begging for food the same way. A little swipe of ghost sauce or Tabasco on the tongue, and they run like **** from even the smell now. And even leery about begging at all lol Just like an electric training collar. They associate the beep with getting zapped. After getting zapped once or twice, they are deterred by the beep. Same concept, different senses.

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 04-02-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Keeper

Default dog

trap a skunk and dump it next door.