Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mahkwa Lodge - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-24-2008, 02:29 PM
LAWalleye

Default Mahkwa Lodge

Going to Mahkwa lodge for Father's day weekend (June 12th thru 15th). I have been to other lodges on Lac Seul, Lost Island Lodge and Evergreen, and wondering if anyone has any insight on Mahkwa.

We will be renting boats, and besides depth finders and life jackets do we need to bring any other boating equip? Looks like they kinda skimp on the boating accessories.

Any other info or insights on this place would be very much appreciated.

Can't wait to get on Lac Seul again, excited to be actually on actual main portion of the lake.

Does Vaughan lake open the 14th or the 15th, regs says closed Jan 1st - June 14th. Guessing opens on the 15th.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Keeper

Default RE: Mahkwa Lodge

This will be my 6th season at Mahkwa. I use my own boat. I would bring a net, anchor,minnow bucket, fish locator, cooler for fish and an electric motor and battery if you like to slow troll. Remember Lac Suel dosn't allow stringers all fish must be killed if you are keeping it. We have had good luck in that area of the lake but we go up for 4th of July.

Mwal
Old 04-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Minnow

We are entering our 4th year at Mahkwa Lodge. We take our own boat, but they do appear to have good rental boats. We very much enjoy staying at Mahkwa. The food is usually outstanding if you are purchasing the American Plan of Modified American Plan (which I strongly recommend). The cabins on the American/Modified Plan side of the bay are excellent and clean. The staff is pretty laid back, but easy to talk to. There is plenty of great fishing around the Lodge. As you probably know you only boat a half mile or so from the landing to the cabins. I will warn you that the boat landing is pretty rough, but Mahkwa has a nice set of docks and power to charge your batteries. You will not be disappointed staying at Mahkwa. I stayed at Chamberlain Narrows for 3 trips, but I did not like the 35 mile boat trip nor the rude service.

We go early (the last week of May).

NEPiker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 08:33 PM
IA Walleye

Cannot comment on Mahkwa, as I have never stayed there, but its just east of the lodge we stay at by about 10 - 12 miles (SWWL). We will be there this year from June 14 - 21.

You will enjoy the fishing in the area. From what I understand, Vaughn will open June 15 (but check the regs to be sure). I have not fished that in a number of years because its just too long of a ride from SWWL and you pass by water that holds fish on the way there.

I would recommend you check out the SWWL website and read their fishing reports (they have several years worth posted). By checking out a couple of years of reports for the time frame you are going you can figure out what you need to do from a fishing perspective. I could give you my insights, but I am no pro. I will say that at that time of the year, I would work the wind blown points/shorelines starting in 7 feet of water and working deeper until you hit fish. Everything will depend on the weather and this year it might be a slightly later spring than normal. Also the water level matters and I think this year is suppose to be normal to slightly above normal.

Jigs and spinners are what 99% of people use on LS at that time of the year, but don't overlook tossing a crank which allows you to pick up more northerns and bass for a variety of excitment.

Cheers... IA Walleye
Old 06-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Minnow

Default Any recent reports?

Leaving Thursday 6/10/10. Any recent reports, water levels & temp, hotspots? Thx in advance.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Minnow

Last summer they opened a road right to Mahkwa so you no longer have to bother with Archies Landing. They also put in their own boat landing at the resort too. We have been staying there since the early 90's and have always rented a cabin. I would like to try staying in their resort and trying their American plan since some of the members in our party last year decided some of the cabins are in need of some TLC and the gals didn't like hearing the mice in the walls at night. Great fishing location, you'll love it.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Wallhanger

Default Mahkwa boat launch, housekeeping cabins

Since '05 I have stayed at Mahkwa Lodge in a housekeeping cabin for a week in May (either opening week or the 2nd week of Walleye season, this year it was May 22-29).

The boat ramp at the Lodge has been improved from rock to concrete.
As the lake water level rises through the season launching and retrieving boats will become very easy.

The Lodge is working to improve the smaller housekeeping cabins.
This year there is a newly rebuilt (I believe a 2 bedroom cabin, cabin number 5).

There are 3-3 bedroom cabins (numbers 11, 12 and 14) that are in excellent condition. My group is 8 or 9 people each year.
We like the 3 bedroom cabins as there are 2 bathrooms each with a shower.

2019 Skeeter WX1910
Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Keeper

Default walleyeduran

Does anybody know if they have a web site. A few years back I call them a couple of times to check out renting a cabin and talked with the person at the desk. She took my name and number and said that the person in charge would get back to me but they never did.

Looking for info. for a Summer trip.

Duran
Old 06-08-2010, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

www.mahkwa.ca have ben going to mahkwa for 20 years now will be there on the 21st to the 26th look me up house keeping 4 person cabin white lund tyee
Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
marchair47@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA Walleye View Post
Cannot comment on Mahkwa, as I have never stayed there, but its just east of the lodge we stay at by about 10 - 12 miles (SWWL). We will be there this year from June 14 - 21.

You will enjoy the fishing in the area. From what I understand, Vaughn will open June 15 (but check the regs to be sure). I have not fished that in a number of years because its just too long of a ride from SWWL and you pass by water that holds fish on the way there.

I would recommend you check out the SWWL website and read their fishing reports (they have several years worth posted). By checking out a couple of years of reports for the time frame you are going you can figure out what you need to do from a fishing perspective. I could give you my insights, but I am no pro. I will say that at that time of the year, I would work the wind blown points/shorelines starting in 7 feet of water and working deeper until you hit fish. Everything will depend on the weather and this year it might be a slightly later spring than normal. Also the water level matters and I think this year is suppose to be normal to slightly above normal.

Jigs and spinners are what 99% of people use on LS at that time of the year, but don't overlook tossing a crank which allows you to pick up more northerns and bass for a variety of excitment.

Cheers... IA Walleye
Hey IA Walleye;

What is SWWL and what is their web site? Thanks