Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Question about winch adjustment - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 05-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
Glad to see the OP solved his problem. I am however struggling trying to understand what REW has suggested here. Seems to me that the winch will still rotate in the same direction and I fail to see how unwinding the strap changes anything. How can you wind the strap back on in the opposite direction?
Rotate the winch handle in the opposite direction.
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI_Guy View Post
Yeah, you can wind the winch strap the opposite way around the spindle so it comes off a little lower. I didn't need to do this. It was fine just moving the winch forward a bit.

Why? So the winch pulls more downward, instead of straight forward, and to make the hardware clear the roller better.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI_Guy View Post
And how does the ratchet work then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
And how does the ratchet work then?
On at least my last 2 trailers the ratchet works in both directions. Ratchet lever all the way up for one direction, middle position it free wheels, all the way down the opposite direction.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

3m,
To wind the winch strap back on yourstrap on to the winch in the opposite direction, flip the winch locking lever to the opposite direction. Pull the full length of the strap off of the winch, then, without touching the winch locking lever - wind the strap back on the winch.

Since you unlocked the winch and unrolled all of the strap and then did not change the position of the locking lever, you will now be winding the winch strap back on your winch in the opposite direction.

So, if the strap was formerly on the top of the winch strap roll as the hook is pulled in, it will not be on the BOTTOM of the winch strap roll as the hook is pulled in. i.e. the hook will be pulling from a lower point - lower by the thickness of the winch strap roll that forms on the winch by the pulling in of the winch strap.

As others have said, locking lever in one direction, lock up clockwise. locking lever in the middle - winch free wheel. Locking lever in the other position, lock up counterclockwise.

Good luck
Old 05-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the explanations. Without looking right now I am pretty sure my winch only has to positions, free wheel and ratchet. Up and down. I will look closer to see. Should it work as stated I'll be amazed. Learning something new all the time.