Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Moping- Angling Edge - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Slot Fish

Default Moping- Angling Edge

Just curious if anyone has tried what Al & Jim Lindner call moping? On Saturday, Angling Edge show had them fishing 5 inch Trigger X minnow with a Moon eye jig 4-5 feet off the bottom in deep water , approx. 25'. No jigging, just holding it steady to catch big walleye.

I will give it a try when I am at an outpost north of Red Lake in early Sept.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Keeper

Default I saw it also

I saw the episode also. Might give it a try, but usually just start with my spinner rigs on the bottom. Will depend on the bite.

What I don't like about that episode, yes they caught fish, but how many, how often? One every 5 minutes, 10, 1 an hour?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Keeper

We had Al up here at Hawk Lake last month. Man, does he have a lot of energy. I can only hope I am that active when I am his age.

Him, Dan Sura and Jeremy Smith were all very friendly and super guys. I learned a lot from them and had many laughs along the way.

In terms of numbers, whenever I watch a fishing show I assume that the host was fishing a lake for multiple days in order to pull together 22 minutes of footage. I look more for learning a new technique and or presentation than numbers of fish. But you are right. If would be good to know if it took 5 days to show the 5-6 fish you see coming into the boat.

Fisherman Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Wallhanger

I use a rig like this often. Like it best in deep water and have had better luck jigging it aggressivly rather than just letting it be. Both styles work just depends on the day. Have had most success on transisitioned Eyes over humps or mid lake islands.

Like to use gold jig head and paddletail colors black/white, blue/white,orange/green, char/white or pink tail. Always glue tail to jig.

Have had best luck with minnow or crawler on it. Used these on recent trip to Black Bear Lodge and we caught the three biggest Walleye in the camp with these.

Mike Kansas

Last edited by Mike Kansas; 08-26-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman Ted View Post
We had Al up here at Hawk Lake last month. Man, does he have a lot of energy. I can only hope I am that active when I am his age.

Him, Dan Sura and Jeremy Smith were all very friendly and super guys. I learned a lot from them and had many laughs along the way.

In terms of numbers, whenever I watch a fishing show I assume that the host was fishing a lake for multiple days in order to pull together 22 minutes of footage. I look more for learning a new technique and or presentation than numbers of fish. But you are right. If would be good to know if it took 5 days to show the 5-6 fish you see coming into the boat.

Fisherman Ted
I'd love to hear more about your experience with those guys. How many boats did they bring ... how many people ... big camera crew ....

Its great to get inside information on what they guys are like!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Keeper

They showed up with 2 boats and one camera guy. Dan Sura who often times hosts the show had one boat (I spent a day with him) and all he did was scout the lake, looking for humps, reefs, good drop-offs etc. During that time Al worked his other boat and did the same thing. Sometime spending hours on different spots, returning to them and looking for trends.

Of course I gave them detailed maps, showed them our best spots etc. They took that and went out and mapped everything with their GPS and got the lay of the land. You would have thought they were scientists. Incredible to watch. And their boats had more electronics than an aircraft carrier. HUGE screens, 2-3 per boat, 360 degree down imaging, anchor poles, enough rods to equip a lodge, and tackle galore. I also got to fish with Al a few times and had a blast. Guy can talk fishing and has so many stories. Also fun to watch him work structure.

Once they got the lay of the land they (and I) then went fishing which was pretty cool (for me anyway). I fished with Dan and our boat fished with Al off and on for an afternoon. I actually caught a 31.5 when we were apart from Al and his camera guy. So we put it in the live-well and raced over to show Al thinking for sure that this fish was something that Al would love to have on camera. We got it on film and I'm thinking "cool, that will work for the show and has to be a good fish for Al". Al quietly said take a look at this as he proceeded to show me footage of what had to be a 35 inch walleye he had just caught. He had a small smile on his face and I would learn later it was one of the largest fish he has ever caught. So, that was kind of funny especially seeing him pretty stoked.

We then fished the rest of the evening and between me, Al and Jeremy I think we netted nine 8 pound fish, 7 30 inches or larger, my 31.5 and his 35+. All in one afternoon and evening.

At dinner Al and Dan were signing autographs with the guests, interviewing many on camera, and telling stories at the bar. Dan is a very gentle man. Jeremy witty and sharp. And I swear all Al wants to do is fish and make the best show he can. He talked fishing all night long, showed our fishermen different lures he likes and got a kick out of seeing old copies of In-Fisherman magazine we had him sign.

All in all it was a great trip (just 2 days). We hope to see him again next year as he asked if he could come back with some buddies. I can only imagine seeing him fish for fun would be even more interesting.

Fisherman Ted
Old 08-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Keeper

WOW! Sounds like it was an experience of a lifetime! I may have to book the whole summer at your place next year eh?