Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat Theft Prevention - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boat Insurance (Sponsored Forums) > Let's Discuss Your Boat Insurance

Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyincher View Post
That's a pretty nice system.

I still wonder if locks are even worth the cost I've cut off a couple receiver hitch locks that I couldn't put a key in anymore and it takes all of 30 seconds to cut it off with a sawzall.
These locks are pretty good locks. You won't cut them with bolt cutters unless you had a gigantic set of cutters. I tested them with a pair of three foot cutters and barely put a nick in them. The lock at the swing tongue is 5/8 inch and there is no way they will be cut with a bolt cutter very quickly.

These locks are also resistant to lock bumping. These are the only padlocks that I know have this feature.

With the right saw you could probably cut them, but it would take time and time is my ally when it comes to boat theft. As I said in my earlier post, anyone who looks at my boat is probably going to move on to an easier target.
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Minnow

All the locks in the world do not prevent someone from unbolting your coupler and installing their own. 3/4 inch socket and a wrench 30 seconds. Some trailer makers are getting smarter and using rivets.
Cordless 18v cut-off tools will also make quick work of your locks.
the only way to deter them is to do this:
Old 07-17-2014, 10:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trollsky View Post
All the locks in the world do not prevent someone from unbolting your coupler and installing their own. 3/4 inch socket and a wrench 30 seconds. Some trailer makers are getting smarter and using rivets.
Cordless 18v cut-off tools will also make quick work of your locks.
the only way to deter them is to do this:
As I stated earlier, my only goal is to make it more attractive for thieves to go to the next boat. They have to do more than unbolt the coupler though as I also open the break away tongue and put a lock on that to prevent it from closing.

They have a lot of locks to go through on my boat. There's no doubt in my mind they will go to one of my neighbors who never use any locks!

Frank
Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Slot Fish

Default ...

I have one of these http://stealshield.net/. can't get at the bolts on the coupler with it on. I would be surprised if there are many out there that could get this off in a timely manner and be quiet about it.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

something like this http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608...d=1.9&rs=0&p=0 or http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...plication1.jpg along with a lug nut lock perhaps. I imagine a bolt cutters could undo this too. As BreezyPoint said, gets them lookin at other targets.

Last edited by 3M TA3; 07-21-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Wallhanger

http://www.carid.com/tow-ready-trail...s-3727303.html

I use this when not hooked up