Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Atv with tracks advice - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 12-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Wallhanger

Tracks have lost popularity here, people tried, then got rid of them, they are a bear to get out when stuck in slush and don't handle deep snow well. I have seen instances where tracks have rutted the heck out of bush trails that go to fishing lakes.... not snowmobile friendly. They probably work better in low snow areas. I have a 4-wheeler and a Ranger with a lift kit for when conditions are right, would never consider tracks, that is what snowmobiles are for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 10:16 PM
Wallhanger

There is a company J-wheels check it out they really work and are one heck of a value,easy to take on and off and are designed so that they don't interfere with the ride check them out
Old 12-17-2016, 08:45 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Tracks have lost popularity here, people tried, then got rid of them, they are a bear to get out when stuck in slush and don't handle deep snow well. I have seen instances where tracks have rutted the heck out of bush trails that go to fishing lakes.... not snowmobile friendly. They probably work better in low snow areas. I have a 4-wheeler and a Ranger with a lift kit for when conditions are right, would never consider tracks, that is what snowmobiles are for.
I've seen them at work in some bad conditions, for my uses they will out perform a snowmobile, I've seen track machines retrieve skid houses that snowmobiles couldn't move, track machines go through our deep snow very well, anything can get stuck in the right circumstances. Most snowmobiles aren't good at slow speeds in deep stuff breaking trail especially pulling a load, they tend to get buried went you gas it to get through a tough spot if you don't have the right momentum built up already.

Being Canadian you likely get more snow than us but northern Wisconsin can dump quite a pile and tracks are the best performing option for a quad when it gets nasty

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Last edited by blucoondawg; 12-18-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool2 View Post
There is a company J-wheels check it out they really work and are one heck of a value,easy to take on and off and are designed so that they don't interfere with the ride check them out
My friend has a set of those on his 06 grizzly he likes them for certain things, he has a strip of bog marsh behind his house where he can go out to a river to ice fish and the j wheelz get him across that nicely and he says do seem to improve snow travel in the right conditions but he says deep snow that's some what soft is still a no go. They are a cheaper alternative that's somewhat useful and they'll float your machine.

Last edited by blucoondawg; 12-18-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Auto correct error
Old 12-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
I've seen them at work in some bad conditions, for my uses they will out perform a snowmobile, I've seen track machines retrieve skid houses that snowmobiles couldn't move, track machines go through our deep snow very well, anything can get stuck in the right circumstances. Most snowmobiles aren't good at allow speeds in deep stuff breaking trail especially pulling a load, they tend to get buried went you gas it to get through a tough spot if you don't have the right momentum built up already.

Being Canadian you likely get more snow than us but northern Wisconsin can dump quite a pile and tracks are the best performing option for a quad when it gets nasty

This is my experience as well. I am from Canada. I don't know about slush but I will say that my Viking on tracks will go anywhere a tradional sled will go. I wouldn't try it in the mountains but that isn't the topic of this thread. My quad on tracks would definitely go into some areas I would hesitate to go with a traditional sled.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:13 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpastcold View Post
This is my experience as well. I am from Canada. I don't know about slush but I will say that my Viking on tracks will go anywhere a tradional sled will go. I wouldn't try it in the mountains but that isn't the topic of this thread. My quad on tracks would definitely go into some areas I would hesitate to go with a traditional sled.
The same place I bought my machine has a Viking with tracks as well, or got a windshield and a heater, was a Yamaha demo unit for a fishing show and has 200 miles on it. Seems like not a bad deal, a little cheaper than new.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:19 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
The same place I bought my machine has a Viking with tracks as well, or got a windshield and a heater, was a Yamaha demo unit for a fishing show and has 200 miles on it. Seems like not a bad deal, a little cheaper than new.

That is how I set mine up as well. I have the full cab package. It also has a heater/ defroster, 2nd battery, winch. The Vikings are nice with plenty of room for 3 adults. I rarely use the snowmobiles anymore as it is nice to be out of the wind in the Viking. The heater keeps the windshield clear but does not heat up the cab too much.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:36 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpastcold View Post
That is how I set mine up as well. I have the full cab package. It also has a heater/ defroster, 2nd battery, winch. The Vikings are nice with plenty of room for 3 adults. I rarely use the snowmobiles anymore as it is nice to be out of the wind in the Viking. The heater keeps the windshield clear but does not heat up the cab too much.
They sure are nice I've test driven them with tires and will be one of my top picks if I ever a utv. Not really practical for me right now which is good they cost too much lol

Old 01-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Wallhanger

Wife and I looked at a Ranger, two things stopped us, price and who was gonna drive.
We planned on doing ice fishing and ATV'ing on trails also, the Ranger was a bit to large for what we wanted to do.

The one we looked at had the tracks and a test drive left me impressed at to what it would go through.

I run a 850 Sportsman now and have yet to put the chains on it much less tracks, but I do not boldly go where no man has gone before or if the snow is to deep we just stay on trails, once somebody else has gone through we can usually follow.

Al