Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you have a routine in Canada? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Keeper

Default Do you have a routine in Canada?

Just wondering if your group has developed a routine when up at a fishing camp. The group I go with does it something like this (early August):

6:30-7:00am people start waking up, having coffee
7:30-8:00am boats start shoving off, morning fish session
10:00-11:30 break for large hot breakfast
Noon-5:00pm fishing
5:00-7:00pm fish clean, make and eat dinner
7:00-9:00 young guys go out for evening fishing, old timers have happy hour
9:30/10:00 old timers start falling asleep
10:30 and beyond - young bucks pound beers around a campfire

We stick to this routine almost religiously.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

My "group" usually consists of my wife and myself, always the last week of May, 1st week of June! My stay usually goes like this:
I awake early, usually between 4:30-4:45 and the coffee pot is on auto so coffee is always ready!
Slip out of bed, quietly grab some clothes, slip into the kitchen, grab a cup O'Joe, get dressed, fill the thermos and head down to the dock where the boat is parked no later than 5:00 AM.
Grab a rod and fish around the dock till bout 5:15, then hop in the boat and away from the island for a bit of eye fishin/catching till 6:40 when I go back to the island & cabin and wake momma in time for breakfast at 7:00!
Grab a bite of breakfast at the lodge till around 8:00, then hit the water hard with momma along till 11:45 where we head in for a spot of lunch!
Hit the water again from 12:30ish until 5:45 when we once again head back in for supper at 6:00, then back on the water till sundown (usually 9:45ish when we head back to the island, share a brewesky or two around the campfire, then hit the hay and do it all over again the next day, and the next day etc till it all comes to a sudden end and we head home!!

Skeeter boats once had a slogan that said "Eat, Sleep, Fish" and I kinda took that to heart on my Canada trips only it's "Fish, Eat, Fish, Sleep, Repeat"!!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Wallhanger

Default routine

Lately we have altered our routine to come in and have a dinner from about 2-4, that way when we come in at night we are not doing dishes until midnight and cleaning fish in the dark. So many days are something like this. 2-4 is historically the slowest fishing time anyway.

Early risers put on coffee about 6:30
We usually just eat cereal for breakfast to keep the mess down.
Everyone takes a dump and gets their gear to the boat for 8:00ish shove off
Come back in around 2, have a big meal drink some beers clean it all up and back on the water by 4
Fish until dark
Hang out on the deck and snack, drink, smoke cigars and tell lies.
Many nights we have a poker game
Pack it in around midnight or 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Wallhanger

Up around 0430-0500. Eat a meal, get on the lake as the horizon turns pink. Fish till the AM bite slows. back to camp for breakfast while the hungover people complain the fishing is terrible. Yea, it can be after 0900. LOL Maybe a mid day siesta, hike and lunch. Back on the lake by 1600, fish till dark-thirty. Dinner, back to bed.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Wallhanger

I've met a lot of nice pike between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Would not consider stopping for a meal during those hours. Eating a cold fish sandwich on the move is my idea of eating lunch. Also it's hard to leave during the evening walleye bite. Walleyes don't belong to a union. They work all night at hunting a meal.

Most of our fish cleaning and fish frying are done after dark.

Going out really early in the morning is rewarding, but not the greatest time for catching. At least that's my experience in NW Ontario.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Keeper

Default Gullrock Routine

Our group has great intentions every year to get going and be on the water early but here is our routine for the past 12 or so years.

2 or 3 of the 10 to 12 are early risers and are up by 6:30 and get the coffee started for the rest. The rest are up by 8 and we all grab a quick bite to eat and head out by 9.
Fish from 9 to 2 or so and grab a quick shore lunch or snacks in the boats.
Fish from 3 to whenever and head in for fish cleaning, dinner, drinks and fun until 12 or 1.
Then back up to do it again.

We are not a group that has a regimented schedule and we really don't want one. Our attitude is we are on vacation and will do what comes easiest.

63 days and we will try out this routine again.

TonyO
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Slot Fish

Smile 2:00 primetime

Goldeneagle I could not agree with you more. My biggest walleyes have been caught at 2:00 in the afternoon in less than 10 FOW. In June when the sun gets high in the sky the walleye bite is on.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Slot Fish

I'm ON vacation!! there is no routine, cept maybe walking to the frig over and over and over for a kold 1
Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
I've met a lot of nice pike between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Would not consider stopping for a meal during those hours. Eating a cold fish sandwich on the move is my idea of eating lunch. Also it's hard to leave during the evening walleye bite. Walleyes don't belong to a union. They work all night at hunting a meal.

Most of our fish cleaning and fish frying are done after dark.

Going out really early in the morning is rewarding, but not the greatest time for catching. At least that's my experience in NW Ontario.
I still can't help from being the first one up everyday and drinking a pot of coffee before you even think about getting up lol

Yes I'm looking forward to the late evening dinners again reel soon
Old 06-24-2018, 09:43 AM
Wallhanger

Smile Daily Routine

We're usually up between 5 AM & 5:30 AM. Have coffee, cereal & toast with peanut butter. Make lunch & are on the water by 7. We come in between 5 PM & 6 PM. Clean fish, drink a beer or two, cook dinner & wash dishes. We might get to bed by 10 PM. We check in on Saturday & leave early the following Saturday. Yea, we're both in our 70's as well.

2020 Jeep WK2 - v6
2021 Lund Renegade 1875
115 Pro XS with SS Prop - Solas New Saturn
Lowrance Locators 7 & 9 inch hook Reveals
Garmin Livescope w 93sv
Minn Kota 70 Edge
Mainly fish Table Rock Lake in S/W Missouri