Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I'm new and I'm sorry for asking a stupid question but...... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-17-2014, 02:12 AM
Minnow

Default I'm new and I'm sorry for asking a stupid question but......

Ok, I live in the US but recently in the past two years I've been going on a week long trip to CA to fish a lake that is mainly, well only, walleye and northern pike. I've been borrowing rods and reels from my dad and friends if I go with my father and when I'm there I'm mainly jigging with minnows and this year I really wanna up my game I'm planning on putting together a couple rod and reel combos as well as lures, spoons and spinners but there is sooo much information out there that the choices are endless and I've recently found a lady that makes custom lures out of blanks and now I'm lost. I've spend a lot of time reading on the site and it seems that there are more opinions about spinning reels and rods than there is about politics. So basically I just need to blow my dad and brother and everyone else away this year so I need suggestions and help on some basics such as gear ratio braided line vs non etc. so please help a poor sole in need. Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 AM
Wallhanger

It doesn't have to be as complicated as we make it out to be. Keep it simple so you can figure out what you like best before you spend the long dollar. What have you liked and not liked about the stuff youve been borrowing? Too fast? Too slow? Too short, long, light, heavy, stiff, noodley...?

Sounds like you need basically two sinning rods: a fast action rod for jigging and a slower action rod for pulling. If you're new at this you haven't developed enough of a style to know what exactly you want so don't obsess over details and don't over spend. Any of the name brands in the $100+- range will make you happy, 6'-6'8" ml for the jigs and something just a touch longer for pulling, 6'6"-7'2". Two piece rods are fine if space is a consideration. Tough to get a custom rod when you have no idea what you want, save her name for future reference.

There are lots of nice reels out there in the $60-$110 range so put them on the rods you've chosen and see how they balance. If it is just a tiny bit tip heavy with no line it'll be good enough. Don't get one that is butt heavy without line. Gear ratio matters on the margins for a beginner. If you want to fish slow get a lower ratio until you learn patience for letting a jig fall, easier to crank a reel fast then to hold yourself back all the time.

All the braids are quality lines. Back your spool up with some mono, finish it with 8#-10# braid and use a barrel swivel to tie on a leader. Easy and quick.

If you want a rod for targeting northerns get a baitcaster and spool it with 20# mono. If you've never fished a baitcaster before then try it out for bass on some local water until you get the feel for it. Spoons and spinnerbaits are plenty effective for 20"-30" pike and you never know what will happen in Canada. Good luck
Old 02-17-2014, 06:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
It doesn't have to be as complicated as we make it out to be. Keep it simple so you can figure out what you like best before you spend the long dollar. What have you liked and not liked about the stuff youve been borrowing? Too fast? Too slow? Too short, long, light, heavy, stiff, noodley...?

Sounds like you need basically two sinning rods: a fast action rod for jigging and a slower action rod for pulling. If you're new at this you haven't developed enough of a style to know what exactly you want so don't obsess over details and don't over spend. Any of the name brands in the $100+- range will make you happy, 6'-6'8" ml for the jigs and something just a touch longer for pulling, 6'6"-7'2". Two piece rods are fine if space is a consideration. Tough to get a custom rod when you have no idea what you want, save her name for future reference.

There are lots of nice reels out there in the $60-$110 range so put them on the rods you've chosen and see how they balance. If it is just a tiny bit tip heavy with no line it'll be good enough. Don't get one that is butt heavy without line. Gear ratio matters on the margins for a beginner. If you want to fish slow get a lower ratio until you learn patience for letting a jig fall, easier to crank a reel fast then to hold yourself back all the time.

All the braids are quality lines. Back your spool up with some mono, finish it with 8#-10# braid and use a barrel swivel to tie on a leader. Easy and quick.

If you want a rod for targeting northerns get a baitcaster and spool it with 20# mono. If you've never fished a baitcaster before then try it out for bass on some local water until you get the feel for it. Spoons and spinnerbaits are plenty effective for 20"-30" pike and you never know what will happen in Canada. Good luck
Good Advise!

Two things I might add is #1- If you have been fishing with mono just remember braids do not stretch. So either set the hook lighter or just a slow pull and reeling the line. Also a more limber rod might help with braid. #2- If you have never used a bait caster find someone that has or google/youtube to see the best way to avoid squirrels nests... they suck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 06:43 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with everything Kzoofisher said but I well might as well jump in first with my preference. I like Pfluegar spinning reels I buy the arbor series lots of guys buy the Presidents but I like the arbors they are a little bigger (just my preference). They are under 100 dollars and run very smooth and my rods are uglysticks again not high priced. My rods are 6'-6" they fit in my boat well and cover a multitude of fish species. I carry one bait caster (quantum smoke) for casting spend more money on this then the others but I wanted a good quality reel for throwing big spoons. I use braid on all my reels and the PLfuegars come with a spool that has rubber strips in them so the braid doesn't slip. Most all of the new baitcasters are a lot more user friendly than the ones from years gone by and can be mastered after some practice. Good luck and remember you can never have to much stuff.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:49 AM
Rich Ziert

Default Does "CA" Stand for California?

If so you better check your specie information. California does not like walleye and pike. They are illegal fish out there. The state has been known to drain entire lakes to get rid of them. As far as a resonably good spinning rig is concerned expect to pay $200.00 min for a combo rod and reel. Try to get the reel balanced with the rod. Check the specs on both before you buy. Wide spools are better. Get something that will hold 200 yards of 8-15 pound line. Go with medium to medium light for casting, and medium heavy for trolling or casting heavier baits. {ick a 7 to 8 foot one piece rod.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ziert View Post
If so you better check your specie information. California does not like walleye and pike. They are illegal fish out there. The state has been known to drain entire lakes to get rid of them. As far as a resonably good spinning rig is concerned expect to pay $200.00 min for a combo rod and reel. Try to get the reel balanced with the rod. Check the specs on both before you buy. Wide spools are better. Get something that will hold 200 yards of 8-15 pound line. Go with medium to medium light for casting, and medium heavy for trolling or casting heavier baits. {ick a 7 to 8 foot one piece rod.
I thought the same thing. Must mean Canada as there is no walleyes in CA. I've caught them in all 43 states that they swim....and CA is not one of them. LOL

I ain't ever had the fish come up and bite on the rod so no big deal to me is my answer.
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#
Old 02-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Keeper

Default Gear

Its all about your personal preference. From the gear ratio, rod length, line type.....and more importantly, budget. As was suggested previously, if you do not have a solid idea of what you like, don't spend a ton of $ just to find out. There are quality rods/reels out there for less than $100. Some of us have taken our "game" to a level we feel best served by a $200 custom jigging rod and a $150 reel. Others use $50 Ugly Sticks. Both catch fish. If you are on a budget, an Ugly Stick or house brand IM7-IM8 spinning rod and $60-$80 reel will put fish in the boat. As far as line goes, I use braid for jigging & casting and mono for pulling bouncers, but both types will work in all situations if you need to keep it to one or the other. If you have the budget and want to blow your friends/family away with high end equipment.... Get a St. Croix jigging rod, SCIII blanks are my preference. Buy a $100+ spinning reel and drop some serious money on your baitcaster.... But in my opinion, unless you are A) a hardcore fisherman, or B) a tournament fisherman (or guide), you will be best served sticking in the mid-range equipment. Spend $100-$150 on each combo and you will catch just as many fish. Concentrate on what you are doing, not what you are doing it with. I have yet to catch a fish that asked me how much I spent on my gear.....
Old 02-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Caveat:You pay for what you get.

With that in mind, I'd recommend buying gear that will perform well and last years and years. I concur that while there is no need to "break the bank", it costs money for quality equipment.

For jigging, I'd recommend a St. Croix Premier PS60MLF (6 foot medium light fast) spinning rod ($110) combined with a Shimano Stradic ST1000FJ spinning reel ($180). While I prefer a 6 foot jigging rod, you might prefer a longer length rod.

For casting for northern pike or for bottom bouncing walleye, I'd recommend a ST. Croix Premier PS70MHF (7 foot medium heavy fast) casting rod ($140) combined with a Shimano Curado casting reel (either the Curado 201G7 ($160) or the Curado 300E ($250).
Old 02-17-2014, 08:17 AM
Keeper

CA is Canada, not California.

Buy 2 rods as others have suggested. 1 for jigging, a 6.5 to 7 foot medium light rod with a fast tip. Spend more on this rod than the second. Jig fishing is about feeling the light tap of a bite.

2nd rod will be used for casting pike baits, and pulling bottom bouncers. A 7 to 7.5 medium heavy rod will work. You can spend less here, as when you a fish hits these presentations, you know it, so sensitivity isn't as important.

If you never have used a baitcaster, I would recommend just going with spinning reels for both rods. As you build your collection through the years, pick up a baitcaster and practice, practice, practice with it for several months before ever taking it fishing. Only use it for heavy casting baits and pulling bottom bouncers, they aren't designed to handle light walleye jigs.

Reel for the medium light rod should be a size 25 or 2500. Reel for the medium heavy should be a size 30 or 3000 (or larger to get rod to balance). Both are spinning reels. If you intend on fishing a lot, and for several years, look for reels over $60. The closer to at least $100 you spend, the better chance the reel will last you and operate better. Good brands are, shimano, pflueger, Abu Garcia, or diawa. There are several other good brands, but those are safe bets to start.

To start, mono is fine. 6 or 8 pound test for medium lite, and 17 to 20 pound for the medium heavy. If you have the money and plan on fishing a lot, I recommend micro braid, like fireline or sufix 832. It is no stretch as where mono stretches like a rubberband. The no stretch is far more sensitive than mono, letting you feel bites better. If you choose braid, get 6 to 8 pound for the medium lite, and 30 pound for the medium heavy. When using braid, loosen your drag so when you set the hook, some line peels off the reel on the set. Oh, and use a steel or titanium leader for fishing pike.

Walleye lures for medium lite, get a hand full of lead head jigs. 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4 ounce sizes. Any colors you want. I prefer longer shanks on my jigs because I use large twister tails. Get a bunch of twister tail grubs in the 3 or 4 inch size. Start out with chartreuse, white, and black. With these jigs and tails, you won't need live bait anymore. I quit using live bait several years ago, and now catch more and larger fish. Use the smallest weight you can that lets you still feel the bottom.

Get a couple rapala shad raps or berkley flicker shads. Size 5 in firetiger and shad

Get a couple rapala husky jerks size 10 or 12 in firetiger and gold/black

Pike lures for medium heavy, get large spoons, inline spinners with buck tails, larger stick baits, and a couple larger spinnerbaits.

Bottom bouncers for medium heavy rod chasing walleye, get bottom bouncers in sizes from 1.5 to 3 ounces. Pick up several spinner harnesses with size 3 to 5 colorado blades. Get chrome, gold, chartreuse, and orange. You can use live crawlers, or I only use gulp! Crawlers in various colors. (This is for trolling with a boat, I'm not sure if you fish from shore or not). Use the lighter weights for shallower water and/or slower speeds, and the heavier weights for deeper water and/or faster speeds. Experiment with size and color until fish show a preference.

This is just a start. Go out and see what you like and go expand in that direction.

Any questions or help, PM me.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 02-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

ray--you head north to CA and I will head west to CA. LOL

http://www.abbreviations.com/CA Both right?
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#