Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Inflatable Life Vests - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-19-2017, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

In Canada, they must be worn to count, we always have two extra up in the storage compartment as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Wallhanger

Here in Wisconsin inflatables have to be warn to count and life jackets have to be out in the open for each person in the boat. If stopped and life jackets are stowed in a compartment it is a fine.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
Here in Wisconsin inflatables have to be warn to count and life jackets have to be out in the open for each person in the boat. If stopped and life jackets are stowed in a compartment it is a fine.
That's not the law in Wisconsin (well, the life jackets part, you're correct about the inflatables).

You must have one throwable flotation device that is "immediately accessible" (i.e. out of storage, we throw ours by the driver's feet under the console). You must have one wearable for each person in the boat and they must be "readily accessible". As long as you can get to it quickly it should be legal.

Last edited by thawk9455; 03-19-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Correcting
Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Wallhanger

I see so many people with life vests strapped to their seat backs. I always wonder if they fall in, do they come back into the boat to put them on before drowning?

I wear my Mustang Elite H.I.T any time I am in the boat. I also carry a conventional vest as a back up.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
As stated immediately below:

Only if the user complies with the approval conditions will the carriage requirement be met. Unlike the inherently buoyant wearable PFDs, which must be readily available, an inflatable PFD must be worn to meet the carriage requirement.
Looking real hard to find this in the reference you provided. I don't see anywhere where it says it doesn't count unless you wear it. Surely this must be a state requirement.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManDan View Post
The Michigan reference does not say anything about TYPE V which is the group that inflatable belong. THEY MUST BE WORN or do not count.

Type V – Special use life jackets:

Intended Use:
Restricted to the special use for which each is designed, for example: sailboard harness, deck suit, paddling vest, commercial white water vest or float coats.
Minimum Buoyancy:
15.5 to 22 lbs. for adult size.
Additional Information:
Must be worn when underway to meet minimum US Coast Guard requirements. Simply having a Type V PFD on board will not meet the USCG carriage requirements.
Type V – Automatic inflation models:

Intended Use:

Restricted to the one use for which it is designed, ex. belt pack, deck suit, float coat.
Minimum Buoyancy:
22.5 to 34 lbs. depending on style.
Additional Information:
Must be worn to meet federal requirements.
Not guaranteed to turn an unconscious wearer face-up. Some manufacturers claim Type II performance. Some models feature a combination of CO2 inflation and built-in foam and provide 15.5 to 22 lbs. of buoyancy.
Type V – Hybrid Inflation and some special notes:

Intended Use:
Models recommended for boating activities where rescue is nearby and must be worn when underway.
Minimum Buoyancy:
Have 7.5 lbs. of built-in foam buoyancy and can be inflated to 22 lbs.
Additional Information:
More comfortable to wear than Type I or Type II, but are inadequate for unconscious overboard victims.
Inflation Mechanism: When activated, a CO2 cartridge is pierced, releasing gas to inflate the device. Water-activated models inflate automatically when submerged in water.
Manual units are activated by yanking a pull-tab. Both types of inflatables feature blow-tubes to provide a back-up method of inflation. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for checking and maintaining your inflation mechanism.
Actually, Type III PFD's can also be inflatable. Type V are for special use and must be worn in accordance with design. Type V are to be used only under very specific conditions and the typical Type III PFD, of which many inflatables are also classified as, do not require wearing to count. They are not considered "Special Use". Very very few here on Walleye Central are using a Type V inflatable PFD. I believe during most recreational fishing activites it would be "illegal" to wear certain Type V PFD's.

Last edited by 3M TA3; 04-10-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Bobbin Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
It is good to actually read the rules! I can imagine the places the inflatables may end up getting stored away and not very accessible. I like mine to be the automatic kind in case of getting knocked out after falling. Would be a big waste of money if not wearing it anyway. I fish alone most of the time. Good to get info that many of us need,Thanks
A Type III inflatable won't necessarily turn you face up if you are knocked out while wearing such a device. It will make it easier to find your body though
Old 04-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Wallhanger

I went through this about a month ago, talking with several sources including a USCG rep.

It comes down to what type it is, if the PFD says it must be worn, and state regulations.

All type V must be worn.
Most inflatables are Type V with Type II and III performance- they must be worn.
Some inflatables are Type III (cabelas is) and they do not have to be worn to meet USCG requirements.
Some states require all inflatable PFDs to be worn, but that is NOT A USCG LAW
Old 04-11-2017, 06:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin Heads View Post
A Type III inflatable won't necessarily turn you face up if you are knocked out while wearing such a device. It will make it easier to find your body though
Type 2 will. That is what I have. Mustang
Old 04-11-2017, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk9455 View Post
That's not the law in Wisconsin (well, the life jackets part, you're correct about the inflatables).

You must have one throwable flotation device that is "immediately accessible" (i.e. out of storage, we throw ours by the driver's feet under the console). You must have one wearable for each person in the boat and they must be "readily accessible". As long as you can get to it quickly it should be legal.
I had a spirited discussion with the Coast Guard over placement and accessibility of my throwable. I used to keep it tucked under the passenger console and easily accessible. I could see it from the drivers seat. Coast Guard said no-go. Has to be out in the open, basically, if they can't see it, it's not accessible. Let me off with a warning. lol Now I have it bungeed to the passenger side console and in plain view.