Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ram Mount 4 trolling motor - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

xxx

Last edited by REW; 02-28-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Wallhanger

I dont know, you should ask my buddy, and look at the top of my motor. He didn't tie down the cooler like I had it in my boat and I didn't notice. We hit a wave and the cooler passed by his head at about mach 6, hit the top of my motor. It didn't just slide back, it got some serious air in order to hit the top of my motor, it cleared the consles and windsheilds. I've had musky boxes and other heavy items bouncing all over too, maybe I'm not following you? Cost me a cooler as the lid tore right off when it hit the motor (should have been fish in it to hold it down).
As far as the TM needing a support, I can't decide what's better. Letting it bounce a bit (it doesn't hit anything) or locking it solid to the boat. I tend to think it is easier on the TM head to bounce a bit that to be tied solid to the boat. Just thinking about the air ride seats, putting some weight on my feet when in rough stuff etc, the TM shaft is absorbing the real hard "shock" of the tough hits and mounting it solid it must be taking harder hits? Maybe more for the stow/deploy mechanism and mounting than to protect the electronics in the head?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Waxy,
Lets say that you have an anchor that is laying on your front deck.
Or, lets say that you have a tackle box or other weight that is laying on your front deck.

Furthermore, lets suppose that you hit a bunch of waves as you go across the lake. What happens to the things that are laying on the front deck?

Do the things on the front deck, actually catch "air"? Or do the things on the front deck, just slide toward the back of the boat?

My guess is that the items laying on the front deck seldom if ever catch "air". Sure, the items laying on the deck might slide, but I doubt very much that they actually bounce up off of the front deck - no matter the wind and waves.

The principle of having a trolling motor head laying on a trolling head motor mount rest under slight tension is exactly the same.

In this case, since the trolling motor head can not slide, it won't slide.
Also, as is the case for your anchor or tackle box on the front deck, the trolling motor head will not bounce up off of the rest.

Again, the answer is simple physics. If the motor can not spring down due to the force of the wind and waves, there will be no moment of inertia that would cause the motor head to spring back up off of the motor rest.

If, however, the motor could spring down even an inch, then there would likely be some inertia developed and the head might spring up a bit under the action of wind and waves.

Try it, you might like it.

REW
I think you're out to lunch on this one REW. You bet they catch air, depending on how heavy they are and how much bouncing the boat is doing. Also, the further forward they are, ie in the bow, the more likely they are to bounce, that's simple physics too.

As for as puttnig the trolling motor against a rest under tension, which I gather is what you're suggesting, I don't think that's a particularly good idea. I think the RAM system is better.

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Wallhanger

You bet things catch air I think your used to fishing flat water or something. I lost an entire cooler one time ask Mark Komo he was with me, I'm lucky I didn't shatter my windshield it busted me in the head as it came up and over my windshield, and countless other things have gone up and back down in the bow of my Ranger including humans that wanted to sit up there. Ever been on a rollercoaster!

I'm with Waxy your out to lunch. Before I put a Ram Mount on my Terrova that thing was all over the dang place it needs to be tied down from the top and bottom secured tightly..period.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Lund Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

Do the things on the front deck, actually catch "air"? Or do the things on the front deck, just slide toward the back of the boat?

My guess is that the items laying on the front deck seldom if ever catch "air". Sure, the items laying on the deck might slide, but I doubt very much that they actually bounce up off of the front deck - no matter the wind and waves.

REW

You need a bigger motor. Your boat is underpowered.

next question: do you drink while answering questions on Walleye Central?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Lund,
I just want every one to be happy with the solutions to their problems.
Many many ways to solve problems.
Use the solution to the problems that work for you.

By the way, I do appreciate your kind and thoughtful comment.

Be safe
REW
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjax View Post
I have a 60inch terrova on the bow of my 1725 proguide and am wondering what size Ram Mount shaft I need to stabalize the head to the pro track for those bumpy rides? Thanks in advance.
I measured the gunwale to shaft gap and went from there. FWIW I put a Ram trolling motor stabilizer on and it is convenient, clean, and the whole thing is rock solid. A mount may not be necessary, but if it increases the units lifespan then its a good investment.

I also put a RAM mount on the bow to catch the planer board mast and keep it from flexing as much when deployed. Overkill -- probably -- but again rock solid and looks clean.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Keeper

Default cisco

Check out the cisco fishing systems mount. I just ordered one.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sault eyes View Post
Check out the cisco fishing systems mount. I just ordered one.
X2 that thing is sweet.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

http://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.co...zer-mount-5397