Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Who loves little outboard Motors? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-13-2017, 09:08 AM
Keeper

Default Who loves little outboard Motors?

Had a little issue with my 1979 Evinrude 6hp motor not wanting to idle very well or run when I give it gas. So, I stuck it in a barrel of water to try and get it going better. What I think happened was the upper carbon adjustment pin for gummed up from laying on it side all winter. I pulled the knob off the end and have it a bunch of turns and I think it loosened up the gunk. Because now it is running great. Starts easy with an easy pull of the rope. It idles nice and doesn't die when I give it gas. Just like it used to. Love the smell of these old outboard. Except I could feel the oil from the smoke on my face.

I took a short video of it running.

https://youtu.be/VUlNaUQPhm8

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

jbird68
Morrison, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Wallhanger

Here's a web site I've had saved for working on old OMC outboards. It may come in handy for you. http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Outb...0articles.html
Old 04-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Wallhanger

Crud build-up in the float bowl which partially blocks the main jet is common on the little J&E motors. On motors which troll a lot without cleaning spark plugs the motor often will start and idle well- but have low top end. I found out about the plug issue on a 1950 or so green top Johnson TD series 5 hp that had been my grandfather's.

I still have a 1951 or so vintage Green Top Merc KG-4 Hurricane 7.5 hp, stickered as being from the original Merc plant in Cedarburg, Wisconsin that they bought from Thor. This motor still has all the factory lead seals verifying that the block has never been disassembled. Runs like a top but smokes like crazy on the 24:1 oil mix I run.
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Reminds me of a fun summer from long ago.

We used to float the river in the summer time. We would rent canoes and float the river on a hot summer afternoon. We would go in groups. I happened to have a little 2 hp Evinrude motor that I would put on rented square stern canoes. After getting tired, the folks would tie all of the canoes side by side and I would push the raft down the river.

A couple of times when goofing around, the boats would get flipped over.

We would flip the boat back over, give the rope a pull or two and the engine would be running fine again.

Pretty waterproof ignition systems in the engines.

Be safe
Old 04-14-2017, 02:17 PM
Wallhanger

A suggestion for that old outboard. Now that you have it running, giver it a Seafoam "shock treatment". I think you'll be even more pleased with how it runs after you do that. Consider this seasoned advice from someone who has '66 3 horse and '83 8 horse OMC outboards.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...-method.html#b
Old 05-24-2017, 06:57 AM
Keeper

big fan of the old ones as well love the smell of the old two stoke oil
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...g2%20006_1.jpg
Old 05-25-2017, 04:53 AM
Wallhanger

I had a 6 HP Evinrude back in the late '60s. That was one of the best motors I ever owned. I sold it to a friend at work and he used it for years. Once it was warmed up you could start it with one pull reaching back over your shoulder and give it a pull.
Have a great day.
JIM
Old 05-25-2017, 05:18 AM
Wallhanger

I had one of those back in the day and also a 1975 15 hp Johnson. I loved their simplicity, reliability and easy maintenance. I hated breathing the fumes when I back trolled.

andersaki