Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Jigging Rap/swimbait rod? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Slot Fish

Default Jigging Rap/swimbait rod?

I'm looking to get a new rod to use primarily for fishing swimbaits and jigging raps.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Rod weight? Tip speed? Length? I'm guessing a 7 footer, medium action, fast tip? I'd like to keep it at about $100 or less if possible.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Wallhanger

I have a shimano cumara that is a worm and jig rod that works awesome for jigging raps. It is a medium weight, x fast tip. It was a $200 rod that I bought for right at $100. The don't make the cumara rod anymore so if you could find a leftover you could probably get a good deal. I think the crucial is a very similar rod. I also have a bunch of the compre series that are very sensitive. If you could get one of those in the jig and worm it would work very well for that purpose. They are $100 but I have found them for around $80.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:42 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willey walleye View Post
I'm looking to get a new rod to use primarily for fishing swimbaits and jigging raps.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Rod weight? Tip speed? Length? I'm guessing a 7 footer, medium action, fast tip? I'd like to keep it at about $100 or less if possible.

Thanks in advance
I have a Cabelas Prodigy model # pdg 704. 7 ft, 1/4 to 3/4 oz lure, I believe that you need the stiffness to work these baits properly, lighter weight rods don't give me the snap that I like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 11:19 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks guys!
Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 AM
Wallhanger

I have a prototype rod from Denali Rods that I got a year and a half ago. I have tried a few different rods for this type of fishing and always go back to this rod. I honestly wish I could get more of the exact rod.

Closest which is actually pretty dang close is the Denali Rods Kovert LT 6'10 Medium Moderate rod. I don't like a rod that is to fast for this and others may have a different opinion.
NPAA #803
Old 05-20-2017, 01:07 AM
Minnow

Check out St. Croix's new Bass-X rods they are right at $100 haven't bought one yet but they look and feel like decent rods for the price.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:00 PM
Slot Fish

I ended up ordering a Fenwick silverhawk II/pfluefer summit xt combo from Cabela's on sale for $99. Too good of a deal to pass up, I'm a sucker for pflueger reels. We'll how it goes.

I did see the St Croix Bass X rod today at the store and it did feel pretty sweet. Thanks again guys.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

If I am going to be using baits like this, I like to have a medium light, a medium rod as well as a medium heavy rod in the boat for potential use.

I also like to use braided line when working lures like this for the most effective way to get the action that I like.

Depending on the depth being fished, I will tend to use a heavier and heavier action rod - as I go deeper and deeper. The heavier action rod will give me the action that I want as I go into deeper and deeper water depths.

I keep a snap on the end of each line, so that I can quickly move from one rod to another - if the rod does not give me the lure action that I want - as I use a particular bait at a particular depth.

Be safe