Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Henry 22 lr - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Henry 22 lr

I bought a new in the box Henry Golden Boy 22 lr at a gun show yesterday. It is a beautiful rifle with a brass receiver, brass trim and an octagon barrel. Should be a fun gun to shoot, cheap ammo and no reloading. I just hope it shoots as good as it looks.
Does anyone here have a Henry ?

Rebs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Wallhanger

I have 2, 1 has never been shot, military tribute edition that the wife bought me when I retired. The other one is a golden boy .22 that I hunt small game with and plink orund with. When I bought mine I took it apart to clean and oil prior to shooting, made me feel better about shooting a clean gun for the first time. The gun is a blast to shoot and very accurate with a scope out to 75 yards. just watch the plastic on the fill tube rod and you will have no problems. Good luck and enjoy the new weapon.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hommer23 View Post
I have 2, 1 has never been shot, military tribute edition that the wife bought me when I retired. The other one is a golden boy .22 that I hunt small game with and plink orund with. When I bought mine I took it apart to clean and oil prior to shooting, made me feel better about shooting a clean gun for the first time. The gun is a blast to shoot and very accurate with a scope out to 75 yards. just watch the plastic on the fill tube rod and you will have no problems. Good luck and enjoy the new weapon.
Thank you

why do you say watch the plastic on the fill tube rod, could there ba a problem with it ?

Rebs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Wallhanger

Not a big problem until it gets cold out. If you are not paying attention while loading you can break either end off. I broke mine by dropping it while filling the tube in freezing weather, fell out of my hand while trying to catch a shell. Bought a new one even though Henery said they would replace for free under warranty since it was my fault.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Keeper

I do and love it. The triggers are a bit gritty, but the more you shoot it the better it will shoot.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hommer23 View Post
Did you buy Henry's cantilever scope mount ?

Rebs
Old 05-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Wallhanger

Accuracy with a 22 rimfire is usually due to choice of ammunition. To avoid frustration after you miss a varmint in your garden, go to a big sporting goods or a specialty gun store and buy one small box of every brand and type of 22 ammunition they have, solids, hollow points, high speed, standard velocity, hyper velocity, even shorts if the rifle feeds them. One or two will be far superior to the others. Sorry, but the cheap bulk boxes of 400-500 rounds/box usually aren't going to win the comparison. Your barrel's preference is your barrel's. The next barrel off the assembly line will likely be different.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Keeper

Keep in mind that most of the time a "dirty" rimfire barrel will be more accurate than a shiny clean one. Keep the chamber clean and use a bore snake after a few hundred rounds. I have done the accuracy test with about 15 different rounds and find the 525 pack of federal to be the most consistant of the bulk ammo. Its easily minute of gopher in my dozen or so. 22's. Even punching paper it will hold tight groups with few flayers. My Henry likes it all. I Try to steer clear of Remington ammo, they have been having some quality issues
Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Wallhanger

Remington certainly does have issues. Every time I go to the range, there is a handful of live Remington 22 long rifle cartridges lying around. The primers have all been struck but the rounds didn't go off. I've even put a few in my gun, orienting the round so the firing pin hits the opposite side of the cartridge, and nothng happens. It seems there is no priming compound in those rims.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumper1300 View Post
Keep in mind that most of the time a "dirty" rimfire barrel will be more accurate than a shiny clean one. Keep the chamber clean and use a bore snake after a few hundred rounds. I have done the accuracy test with about 15 different rounds and find the 525 pack of federal to be the most consistant of the bulk ammo. Its easily minute of gopher in my dozen or so. 22's. Even punching paper it will hold tight groups with few flayers. My Henry likes it all. I Try to steer clear of Remington ammo, they have been having some quality issues
Which Federal's are you shooting ? I bought a 500 brick of the CCI standard velocity match for my target 22 hand gun. I am going to try them in my Henry.

Rebs