Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
what to drag gravel driveway with? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Steve-O

Default what to drag gravel driveway with?

What works for smoothing out a driveway. My driveway is pretty hard packed and I need something to smooth it out and fill in the holes. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:40 PM
GF

Default RE: what to drag gravel driveway with?

I used to have neighbor come trhu with his disc than I had an old steel bedspring with rocks on and drug behind pick up.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Bedspring will work, but better is a chunk of I-beam about 4 to 6 feet long. If you can time it shortly after a rain it works best. Also setting up the beam so that it is pulled at an angle so that the extra gravel discharges to the center of your road will result in your driveway having a "crown" which will help it shed water.

Regards,

Scott Lee

Since there is six times as much water as dry land on earth, any fool
can plainly see the good Lord meant for man to fish six times as much as he works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

One thing that works rather nicely and is good and heavy is a piece of railroad track. just weld on a couple hooks and hook on a chain and drag it.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Unlogged T-Mac

Are intending to rent a piece of equipment for this job or do you already own an ATV or something that you can incorporate into this job?

If renting something.... it will depend on how hard things are packed, but will probably involve a skid-steer loader.
Then, there are many possible attachments for various types of leveling...depending on what kind of material and how much compaction you are dealing with. Harley rakes, tine harrows, box levelers, etc. There are lots of attachments designed for various situations.
A good equipment rental place can probably help you figure out what you need.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Wallhanger

I use an 8 ft piece of railroad track with holes in each end. I hook up a chain and pull it behind my quad. If you go slow enough you can disperse the rock anywhere in your driveway.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Bedspring will work, but better is a chunk of I-beam about 4 to 6 feet long. If you can time it shortly after a rain it works best. Also setting up the beam so that it is pulled at an angle so that the extra gravel discharges to the center of your road will result in your driveway having a "crown" which will help it shed water.

Regards,

Scott Lee

Since there is six times as much water as dry land on earth, any fool
can plainly see the good Lord meant for man to fish six times as much as he works.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

One thing that works rather nicely and is good and heavy is a piece of railroad track. just weld on a couple hooks and hook on a chain and drag it.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Unlogged T-Mac

Are intending to rent a piece of equipment for this job or do you already own an ATV or something that you can incorporate into this job?

If renting something.... it will depend on how hard things are packed, but will probably involve a skid-steer loader.
Then, there are many possible attachments for various types of leveling...depending on what kind of material and how much compaction you are dealing with. Harley rakes, tine harrows, box levelers, etc. There are lots of attachments designed for various situations.
A good equipment rental place can probably help you figure out what you need.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Wallhanger

I use an 8 ft piece of railroad track with holes in each end. I hook up a chain and pull it behind my quad. If you go slow enough you can disperse the rock anywhere in your driveway.