Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rub rail replacement question... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Wallhanger

Default Rub rail replacement question...

The neighbor was cleaning his boat the other day and decided to replace the rub rail - the rubber/plastic strip that fits inside of a chrome channel.

He and his son-in-law were trying to slide it in from one end. But he said he saw a video on Youtube that said to lay it out the length of the rail and push it straight in - pop it in as it were.

Has anyone replaced that strip and if so, do you have any helpful advice to offer? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Wallhanger

yep lay it out the length of the boat. then insert the bottom first and then press the top down and in. I use a solid gasket scraper you can pick up cheap at an auto parts store. not the one with the single edge razor blade but the solid steel one. the blade is about an inch wide. just place the scraper in the slot of the rubber on the top and press down. it'll pop right in. it helps to lube it up with some dawn dish soap also. then just work your way along.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Wallhanger

CKM - Thanks much. I was just down there talking to him. He and his wife are sitting on their pontoon - tied to the dock. The daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids are swimming. It's just a beautiful day in N. MN.

The kids are leaving tomorrow - The two of us can work on it then. I have some 2" plastic putty knives - I wonder if they will work? If not, we can get the tool you mentioned at an auto parts store. We're 30 miles from town, we hate to make a trip if not absolutely necessary.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by law57 View Post
CKM - Thanks much. I was just down there talking to him. He and his wife are sitting on their pontoon - tied to the dock. The daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids are swimming. It's just a beautiful day in N. MN.

The kids are leaving tomorrow - The two of us can work on it then. I have some 2" plastic putty knives - I wonder if they will work? If not, we can get the tool you mentioned at an auto parts store. We're 30 miles from town, we hate to make a trip if not absolutely necessary.

Thanks again.
they may work but it does take a decent amount of push and those might bend but worth a try. a screwdriver is too narrow and will puncture.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Law 57,
When I replaced the rub rail on my boat, it was a single piece that started on one side of the transom, ran up one side, around the bow and back down the other side.

I just used wd-40 to really lube up both the rub rail as well as the channel into which it was going.

I did the job by myself and really had no issue at all to get the rub rain into the strip all of the way around the boat, by just pushing the rail from the stern.

If I recall, I did use a heat gun when it came time to go around the bow to soften the rail to make the bend easier.

Be safe
Old 07-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

I have worked in a fiberglass shop for about 7 years and done a ton of rub rails a heat gun or hair dyer works wonders also. Not a lot of heat but just a little to make it flex a little eaiser.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Keeper

It helps if you lay the insert out in the sun for a little while to soften it up.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Slot Fish

Thumbs up Use hot water to soften it

I put the rub rail for my Explorer in a pail of hot water to soften it up. I then started from the back and pushed it through. No issues.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Wallhanger

Warm, soapy water.
Makes it flexible and slippery....thus, easier.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKM View Post
yep lay it out the length of the boat. then insert the bottom first and then press the top down and in. I use a solid gasket scraper you can pick up cheap at an auto parts store. not the one with the single edge razor blade but the solid steel one. the blade is about an inch wide. just place the scraper in the slot of the rubber on the top and press down. it'll pop right in. it helps to lube it up with some dawn dish soap also. then just work your way along.
Thanks for the help - he used the above method. I know the 'slide-in' method would work too - but I only gave him this hint. I didn't want his mind to wonder during the installation!

He did put the strips in a pail of very hot water and then used soap as a lubricant. I don't know why he failed the first time - maybe he didn't get the strips warm enough.

I didn't help him - his son-in-law was there. Two should be enough for that project. So I went fishing. Thanks again for the help.