Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gun Dog Training Books or Videos - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 02-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Gun Dog Training Books or Videos

Okay, in relation to my "Gun Dog Trainers" post, I've decided to train my own pup. Really it shouldn't be too awful hard, after all this dog is smarter than the neighbors kid.

I'm looking for good books / videos on training. Any suggestions?

"Friends don't let friends fish for trout!"
Old 02-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Gun Dog Training Books or Videos

All of Richard Wolters books are very good.
Gun Dog is very good
Old 02-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Keeper

Default RE: Gun Dog Training Books or Videos

Perfection Kennel Tapes....I don't know of any trainer that puts a Satisfaction Guaranteed on anything.If you don't like his tapes send them back........

What, I like about his tapes is that they are not Mock trainning situation. it's real life crap that happens while training and he shows you how to correct the problem. I myself have learned alot from the DVD's. I'm sure someone out there is going to come out with something better but for now Jon is the real deal.
One thing for sure in the dog training world ....you never stop learning. Good Luck with your PUP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Wallhanger

I would suggest Robert Millners book " Retyriever training a back to basics approach"
Awesome book. If you're patient and follow it, have a helper and some time, you'll be amazed. I lost the best dog and best friend I ever had 2 years ago, and I miss him as much now as the day he left us. Also if there are any retriever clubs near you, join up and if you listen, you can learn alot.
You're a lucky man when you have a pup to love!
Old 04-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Wallhanger

Default Here's my old boy.

What a great duck dog he was. No retrieve to long or too tough for him. He broke ice many times int he late season. And a better family dog you will never find. He left us 2 years ago. The young picture he was 2 and the older he was 11.
I miss him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1119.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	494.6 KB
ID:	145186   Click image for larger version

Name:	GUN.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	145194  
Old 04-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfish1 View Post
What a great duck dog he was. No retrieve to long or too tough for him. He broke ice many times int he late season. And a better family dog you will never find. He left us 2 years ago. The young picture he was 2 and the older he was 11.
I miss him.

This is a very handsome pup, even at 11!

Frank
Old 04-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Slot Fish

Thumbs up "Water Dog" by Wolters

"Water Dog" by Wolters was written in 1964 and is still the best book I have ever read for training Duck dogs. Prior to getting my pup I was asking around for books on training dogs and this was the only book recommended by my friends that hunt ducks.
Wolters has also written books on training dogs for upland game but I don't hunt them so I have never bothered reading it. "This book is a god send to people not familiar with training dogs. I knew very little about training dogs and my dog made two retrieves on woods ducks his first time out at 5 months and 1 day. By his second year of hunting he had a good handle on hand signals and exceeded my expectations by quite a bit. I simply read the book and was diligent with the training. Whenever I was stuck with a problem I would go back to the book and my answer was right there. That book is pure gold!!
Old 04-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Wallhanger

I'm a firm believer in obedience training your dog first, and have used books by the Monks of New Skete, especially "Becoming your dogs best friend".

They have helped us train our sporting dogs for field, the obedience ring and show.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...%20New%20Skete

Maybe give them a look.

al
Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I have Wolters Books and have followed many of his training suggestions as well as what age to pick up you pup.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Minnow

Default Book

How to Help Gun Dogs Train themselves is a great read. It focuses on the first year of your new pup. I see this reply may be a little late to start with your pup but a great read nonetheless.

http://www.amazon.com/Themselves-Tak.../dp/0963012746