Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Drotto Hook - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 06-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Drotto Hook

Have used this a dozen times now a and am very impressed! Works as advertised and is a very useful addition to a trailer with rollers.
Word of caution however. First time out someone must have unhooked it and I failed to verify that It was open--UGH. Almost a disaster but close enough to the water that I just had a heck of a ride!,
All in all a great product
Old 06-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Wallhanger

Default Drotto

I've had mine about 3 months, works great. Wish I would have bought it 10yrs ago.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:13 AM
Keeper

Bought mine last year and love it. will have to keep an eye on that as many folks seemm intrigued by its operation and I have had more than one person pull the activation handle while its loaded. I guess it makes sense now why they put that quick detach clip on the activation arm now... The Drotto and the ez-steps I built are the 2 best upgrades I have done to my rig so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Minnow

Default Great product

I have uses it a few times this year the best thing I ever bought for my trailer. I did have a question the boat sits back a few inches now and I am tearing up the tie down straps any pointers?
Old 07-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley01 View Post
I have uses it a few times this year the best thing I ever bought for my trailer. I did have a question the boat sits back a few inches now and I am tearing up the tie down straps any pointers?
I simply loosened the u-bolts on the winch stand and slid the entire assembly forward so the boat stayed where it originally sat before the drotto.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:48 AM
Minnow

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plotman View Post
I simply loosened the u-bolts on the winch stand and slid the entire assembly forward so the boat stayed where it originally sat before the drotto.
I have a 2015 shorelander with a swing toung I looked and cannot move the assembly. I did check with the Drotto people and they said some thing about using strap extenders but I honestly do not know what that is
Old 07-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ducks View Post
Have used this a dozen times now a and am very impressed! Works as advertised and is a very useful addition to a trailer with rollers.
Word of caution however. First time out someone must have unhooked it and I failed to verify that It was open--UGH. Almost a disaster but close enough to the water that I just had a heck of a ride!,
All in all a great product
An easy way to check to make sure that it is still latched before releasing your winch is to simply look underneath the Drotto to see if the locking hooks are open. If it was inadvertently released just tighten your winch until you hear the Drotto click, then continue with your launch procedure. This is a great American made product that makes launching and loading simple and safer. It operates much like a fifth wheel on a semi tractor. I really like mine.

andersaki
Old 07-01-2016, 03:58 PM
Wallhanger

I got mine this spring and think it is an awesome product. Not a guimick either a very useful and safe item. I see so many people hanging over the front of their boats hooking up and winching on. It seems like it is only a matter of time that they fall and potential injury.
Buy on now before some big company buys the patent, makes it cheaper and doubles the price!
Old 01-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

If you don't want to put extensions on the transom trailer tie down points, you can beef up the transom straps.

Just take the straps to any canvas shop and have them sew about 4 layers of webbing over the existing strap on the side of the strap that is getting ripped up. These additional layers will toughen and stiffen the straps and make them home up better to the wear that they are being subjected.

Take care
Old 01-26-2017, 06:58 AM
Wallhanger

I would be concerned about two things if you can't move the winch stand: 1) The change in toungue weight when you move the boat back a few inches with the Drotto. It may lead to instabiltiy while trailering. 2) My transom sits with in 1/2" of the end of the bunk. I realize you can move the bunk, but my bunk end has a verticle structural support directly under it supporting the transom. Moving the transon off that support a couple inches does not sound ideal! I have 250hp Verado sitting on the transom and want maximum support under that piece of transom wood when trailering.

Marty

Last edited by Marty59; 01-26-2017 at 10:57 AM.