Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye spinning reel "super" line preferences - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Slot Fish

Default Walleye spinning reel "super" line preferences

So once again thinking about an alternative to my good 'ol Trilene XL. Every time in past I tried something else, I quickly returned back to Trilene XL. I get the benefits of fluoro, braid, fireline, etc. and have used as leaders and on other larger spinning reels, primarily in FL keys salt water.

So here is my issue, I LOVE the castability and lack of memory,etc. of XL, and thus keep coming back to it. With that said, as I plan my Canada trips this year I am intrigued by a thinner, clear Fireline, fluoro, or braid that transfers more feel to the rod. I am fishing a Fenwick Elite Tech Walleye rod (MF) and a way too expensive Abu reel that I love (MGX spinning). I feel like I am not getting the most out of this rig fishing mono on it.

So here is my request - if you are a spinning bigot, like me, who loves XL for it's casting, etc., like me, and have found a great superline or braid alternative that behaves similarly, I would love to hear what it is and it's pros and drawbacks. Thinking 10# mono equivalent.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance...

Last edited by 1K1MOA; 02-09-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Slot Fish

One huge benefit is that braid has less stretch and thus is more sensitive than mono. And actually believe it or not, braid also has less memory. Another huge benefit is that 10# braid has the equivalent of most 2# mono line diameters. The only real draw back is that braid is more expensive than mono. The way to combat this is to fill your spool halfway with mono as a backing and then add around 75-100 yards of your braid. I have yet to find a walleye that is going to spool a reel and have never gotten down to my backing. Braid casts great as well, and I would even argue better than mono. If you are jigging for eyes then in my opinion braid trumps mono all day. Now, if you start lindy rigging, then you would want to use mono, because it has more stretch and will not allow the fish to feel you as well before you feed him line. I myself just like the 10# power pro, but I think you could even get away with 6-8 # and be just fine.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Wallhanger

I assumed you tried some braid and switched back to Trilene. So, maybe it's best to learn why didn't you like braid. I have a feeling many problems people come across is with the thinner lower diameter lines. Personally, I don't like to use anything <15-20lb test on spinning reels because of that.

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about using mono. Sure, there are benefits to braid, but I imagine after using Trilene for so long you know how to fish it well. Some people actually find that Walleye fishing with braid is actually worse for them. You don't have the stretch of mono and end up having problems setting the hook due to it's stiffness. I think that's mostly due to being new to using braid though and would easily be corrected with use.

Also, I wouldn't recommend Fireline, unless you're only vertical jigging with it. I like it for ice fishing, but won't use it otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by adempsey2.0 View Post
I assumed you tried some braid and switched back to Trilene. So, maybe it's best to learn why didn't you like braid. I have a feeling many problems people come across is with the thinner lower diameter lines. Personally, I don't like to use anything <15-20lb test on spinning reels because of that.
wow, very intuitive and interesting comment about the thinnest. I did go with a very thin braid and remember my biggest issue was wind knots when casting, if I recall correctly.

My thought is to take a second spool and give another chance to a line with lower stretch. Where I am particularly interested in using it, is for Whitefish I typically am targeting 35 - 70' or when the eye bite is extremely light on a jig. I suspect I will feel the light bites better. Maybe I do stick with mono for casting, because you are right, I know it and fish it extremely well I actually do like a little stretch when a retrieved lure has a strike.

I appreciate some of the suggestions already, thanks for the replies and suggestions all.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:17 PM
Wallhanger

I'm not very picky about line, but did start to use Spiderwire when it first came out. Through the years, and it's updates and changes, it still has been my go to line. Sure, when I buy a new reel, I'll let them load whatever "free" braid is included with the purchase. And usually find it inferior...so eventually get more Spiderwire.
The other advantage - it can last a very long time....I have a couple of old rods only used for guests, etc. that have had faded Spider on them for several years, and it is every bit as strong as the ones with the new stuff.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:37 AM
Minnow

I have several rods with me at all times for walleye fishing for various techniques. I jig a lot. No question in my mind that braid is a much better option for jigging. I started using Power Pro and used it for years, recently I switched to SpiderWire and like it better. I agree with whoever said to put backing on a reel and top it up with braid. Another tip to get more out of your braid is reversing it. A fluro leader is needed on some bodies of water, on others I don't find it makes a difference.

The only setup that I use mono with is for trolling harnesses.

can't really comment on throwing cranks as it's not something I do.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricSlide19 View Post
One huge benefit is that braid has less stretch and thus is more sensitive than mono. And actually believe it or not, braid also has less memory. Another huge benefit is that 10# braid has the equivalent of most 2# mono line diameters. The only real draw back is that braid is more expensive than mono. The way to combat this is to fill your spool halfway with mono as a backing and then add around 75-100 yards of your braid. I have yet to find a walleye that is going to spool a reel and have never gotten down to my backing. Braid casts great as well, and I would even argue better than mono. If you are jigging for eyes then in my opinion braid trumps mono all day. Now, if you start lindy rigging, then you would want to use mono, because it has more stretch and will not allow the fish to feel you as well before you feed him line. I myself just like the 10# power pro, but I think you could even get away with 6-8 # and be just fine.
I've been using the same spool of Tuf-line braid for 3 years now and its like new yet only limper. Mono also takes on aromas in the boat, garage, etc. wherever it is stored.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Wallhanger

Sufix 832 10lb. neon lime no leader.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Wallhanger

I am using the same rod, with a Shimano Saros reel and use 10lb Powerpro with 3-4 feet of flourocarbon leader.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Keeper

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbns View Post
I am using the same rod, with a Shimano Saros reel and use 10lb Powerpro with 3-4 feet of flourocarbon leader.
Same here. Works for me.