Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bottom Bouncer Question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-06-2008, 12:43 AM
SouthAltaHunter

Default Bottom Bouncer Question

Im not sure if I am rigging up my bottom bouncers proper. I have a snap swivel tied on to my main fishing line, the swivel is hooked up to the bottom bouncer directly, then leader coming off of bouncer. Now when fish strikes, the setup I have makes fish feel bouncer. Is there any way to have it slip, so fish cant feel bouncer weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: Bottom Bouncer Question

>Im not sure if I am rigging up my bottom bouncers proper. I
>have a snap swivel tied on to my main fishing line, the swivel
>is hooked up to the bottom bouncer directly, then leader
>coming off of bouncer. Now when fish strikes, the setup I have
>makes fish feel bouncer. Is there any way to have it slip, so
>fish cant feel bouncer weight.

I don't use a snap swivel to hook to the bouncer but rather just tie directand I never had a need to keep fish from feeling the bouncer. I believe there is a bottom bouncer that does not have the L bend wire frame but rather just a straight wire with a closed loop in the top that you could thread the line through and use a small splitshot to stop the position the bouncer at the right distance from the bait

we'll see ya on the water
rebs
Old 06-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Go to Janns netcraft, get a bunch of a components called fishfinders (ones with the snap. I replace with a smaller snap). Slide one on your line, a small bead then tie on a swivel... Your bouncer that is now just a piece of straight wire will free slide and your harness connects straight to your line...You then can also unhook your bouncer when you are running so lead isn't flying around in your boat. There ya go!!!! Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 06:40 PM
JerryA

A bottom bouncer isn't really a finesse rig. If you're drifting or pulling, by the time a fish feels resistance, his butt is hooked. Unless he's just nibbling the tail which happens sometimes. What you're describing is more like a lindy rig presentation.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Keeper

I agree with Jerry. While intuitively the bottom bouncer would seem to tip fish off, it doesn't work that way when used as intended. When I first read your post, my first thought was to suggest trolling faster. :grd: The fish normally hook themselves with this presentation, especially at this time of year.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like you need to use lead-core if you want more feel?? Bouncers are more of a drag-line thingy while you are busy w/another legal rod that req/s attn:... Did you read this post on bouncers from May 31st - Bottom Bouncing A to Z
http://www.justfishontario.net/botto...ing_a_to_z.htm

da old fart,
Bebob da I-Bobray
Old 06-09-2008, 06:19 PM
SS2

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Categ...in.taf?cat=106

The link is for one type of slip bouncer. I know there was at least one other manufactur of a similiar products some 15 yrs ago. I was surprised Northland had them up to 1.5 oz. I had only seen them in weights up to maybe 3/4 oz way back when.

Northlands promo is a bit different I think slip bouncers used to promoted as an option to a lindy rig in some snaggy situations where you wanted to feed a bit of line to the fish.

I'm kinda lazy and use a snap on the main line whenever I think I will be changing stuff up but in some applications you will get better sensitivity with a direct tie which probably results in more fish if you fish bouncers holding your rod.

Fishing bouncers in holders we just let the fish load the rod up. Rod in hand, it sometimes pays off to let the rod fall back a little (essentially pause the rig) before loading the rod up. If you miss, fall back again.

Good Luck
Old 06-10-2008, 08:19 AM
lacy

fish are aggressive when they hit a bottom bouncer, because it is moving and they don't want it to get away. Weight of bouncer is not a factor with these fish. Sharp hooks and immediate pressure from the drift or trolling action will result in solid hook-ups. Really a no-brainer, just drag and fish hooks itself. If you think you are missing light biting walleyes, I submit that they are probably smaller fish biting the tail of the bait. Put on a small stinger hook at the very end would prove this.