Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Early Detroit River - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 02-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Minnow

Default Early Detroit River

How early is too early on the river for the big females. I usually go the second weekend in april and do well. This year I am taking two trips, one of them needs to be before april 4. How has the bite been the last week in march in years past. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Early Detroit River

It is going to depend on when the weather breaks, since it has been colder this winter than it has been for a while, ice out is going to be later. I would watch postings the next few weeks and see if anyone post weather related info for Lake Erie ice fishing. We are suppose to get some warmer weather mid-30 to 40 the next few days but it is also going back down to the 20s by the week-end. The March walleye fishing is usually pretty hit or miss, when they are on you can catch some monsters, if you are jigging you have to move at a snails pace to detect the light biting fish.

Norman Maclean
Old 02-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Minnow

The ice is upto 36" thick on lake St. Clair this winter. You will be dodging ice flows untill mid april, unless we get very warm very fast.

Last year we were on the river by the 2nd week of march. I dought I'll get on this year untill the 2nd week of april.

Keith Krych #207
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2003, 12:41 PM
dave

Yep gettin that itch.Walleye on the Detroit river in spring.Can't wait.I go whenever the ice is gone.A few years ago mid Febuary & they were bitin great.This year could be a long wait.You never know.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Keith. Remember, last year it hit 57 in January. Its going to take a while to get all that ice through from Lake St Clair and north.

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:21 AM
Wallhanger

Does anyone know if they fixed the ice boom in Buffalo at the Niagara River? This has a huge effect on how long the ice stays in Lake Erie. They showed it last week on CNN; the boom broke and the ice was going down the river in fine fashion! I know their concern is the Power Plant intakes and turbines getting clogged up with ice coming down river, but those guys in western N.Y. are the last to get out on Erie when the boom is in place.

I wonder if some terrorist walleye fisherman had something to do with it?
Old 02-20-2003, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

There are days that you might get out with ice flowing, that is when you have a strong west wind. This tends to keep the ice to the east part of the river. If you are really hard up to fish, you can do this. You are better off waiting to it clears. If you knock a hole in your boat you probably aren't going to get any help fast enough for you to survive in 33 degree water.

Norman Maclean
Old 02-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Keep in mind that the Detroit River RCL is scheduled for April 2-5. Most of the competitors will be there the last week in March for prefishing. Could be a very interesting tournament!

Pray for warm weather!

Keith Segar
NPAA #260
Old 02-20-2003, 04:12 PM
Wallhanger

I don't know Keith - 150 boats in the Trenton Channel, better than the average weekend day. Maybe we could have a obstacle course challenge dodging the ice flows.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Try 190 boats! The last time I heard they had that many boats lined up for the Detroit River RCL.
Definitely sounds like we'll have a good time!

Take care and I'll see you on that side of the state soon!

Keith Segar
NPAA #260