Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Accuracy reports of the new Minn Kota I-Pilot?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-19-2017, 11:11 PM
Minnow

Default Accuracy reports of the new Minn Kota I-Pilot??

Hello everyone,

I'm going to purchase a new trolling motor within the next few days and was hoping to get some accuracy reports from actual users of the new I Pilot.

I've seen the advertisement video from Minn Kota regarding the claimed accuracy, but it was produced by MK...

After a ton of reading and watching reviews, it at least appears the "safest" route would be to go with the XI5. Although, it is certainly possible to find reports of the XI5 causing interference and doing other problematic things. Compatibility with a locator is a non-issue for me. The one thing I don't like about the XI5 is the antiquated remote which doesn't have a screen. I would like to go with a new MK Terrova, but don't want to get burned if their claims of accuracy are pure fiction.

So, anyone have first-hand feedback on the accuracy of the new spot lock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 05:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by classichonda1 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm going to purchase a new trolling motor within the next few days and was hoping to get some accuracy reports from actual users of the new I Pilot.

So, anyone have first-hand feedback on the accuracy of the new spot lock?
I copied and pasted below what I wrote on another thread.....

Guys,

I ran the new version of Spot Lock from Minnkota all last summer. I have done beta testing for them since the mid 2000's. I want to be perfectly clear that I do NOT receive any compensation from Minnkota or JWA for any of the testing that I have done or do for them.

I have not run a MG, so I cannot speak to how well they work. I have heard that they work quite well and have no reason to doubt that they do.

I can say with confidence that the versions of the new Minnkota that I beta tested performed almost flawlessly. What you see in the video is what I experienced all last summer. There were some small items identified during beta testing, but they were addressed with software updates before being put into production.

Early last summer, during the first follow up conversation with the engineers I had, included a very specific point of how little the stern of the boat moved around. I shared with the engineers that in a 12 -15 mph wind and a 12” -16” chop that my wife and I were able to fish out of the back of the boat (stern) using 1/8 ounce jigs in 28 feet of water and remain nearly perfectly vertical. I was absolutely floored when this happened.

Let me say that I think competition between the various companies is good. It continues to drive them to produce better and better products. If you recall, when Minnkota first introduced the Spot lock, people were REALLY happy because they had this new feature. After a period of time, MG released their version and it was an improvement. Then a number of people liked the more accurate anchor mode and voiced their opinions. As I see it, Minnkota listened and made improvements. Again, this is ultimately good for us, the consumer.

Let me reiterate that what I see in that video, is a very accurate representation of what I experienced with my Minnkota all last summer. The new Minnkota has a DTG (distance to go) icon and number located on the remote. I normally saw 3’-4’ on the DTG when I looked. To be totally honest, I did not sit and watch the DTG on a continuous basis because the performance was so good, there was no need.

Another reason why I think the new Minnkota works so well that gets very little discussion is the Boat Scale. Every boat is different even the same boats can be loaded differently. Factors like; boat freeboard height, water displacement, Top set up/down, length of boat, power of your T/M, battery age/condition, current, and others all effect how your boat responds to wind and waves. Having the ability to adjust/match your specific boat and or style of fishing to your T/M’s algorithm allows it to more precisely adjust and ultimately provide more accurate performance.

Something that I want to add is that I was concerned about mounting the new “boat heading sensor”. The engineers were very specific that they did not want it close to the T/M or any ferrous metal. They did not want anything metallic or magnetic interfering with the compass that tracked the orientation of the keel of the boat. I ended up with mine inside of the rod locker on the floor by the rod handles. BTW, it can be mounted inside of a compartment, but not upside down.

Good luck with whatever system you have/get and make sure to have FUN fishing!

On edit: It took me a bit, but I realized I did not include a link to the video that was referenced in the original thread. ....Sorry bout that. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5uYIiTElVg

Last edited by JAK; 04-24-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:43 AM
4T2

I certainly don't have the credentials of Jak, but I can attest to the performance of the new MK, at least in the Ultrex version.

I had very high expectations when I took the new boat out. Those expectations were exceeded in windy and choppy conditions.

I'm sure the MG is fine, too...but I know first-hand that the MK holds tight to the spot, doesn't over-correct, and is very smooth and quiet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 AM
Wallhanger

Best video i saw was a guy put is boat a couple feet from a buoy and the MK held within a foot or two of that buoy. The video ran a few minutes and its held its position very very good. I believe the video was on this siite. My old terrova would have ran that buoy over, had it under my boat and eventually the buoy would have gotten tangled in my outboard.
Terrova w-Link
Old 04-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Keeper

Ran mine on the Detroit river 2 weeks ago and in that current with a 20mph crosswind it stuck within 4 feet. Had an XI5 before and the new MK is better. Really, really impressed with it. Oh...and buy an Ulterra; not having to put/pull that thing is sooooo nice. Waiting for the trailer or your buddy, auto deploy and hit spot lock and start working on things in the boat. I'm in love.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:40 PM
Wallhanger

If Florida last week I hit spotlock numerous times where I was a few feet from a mangrove line or oysterbar. I was scared the first few times as it was just so close. Part of the reason I needed to do this was heavy winds. I am pleased to say it performed perfectly and I was not nervous after the first few times. No spinning or roaming. People in my boat barely even noticed we were sitting in a heavy chop a few feet upwind from danger. we caught some nice fish.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:05 PM
Keeper

I would say it's as good as the xi5. No better, no worse. Everything else, however, is MUCH better than the xi5. So glad I got rid of that thing...
Old 04-20-2017, 10:48 PM
Keeper

I've had mine out 4 times on the rainy river. New 80# ulterra on 1875 impact. It's awesome. With current and wind it stays wherever you want it to and the jog feature works great. Really enjoyable it's like someone else is expertly running the boat and you get to fish. I'm thinking of throwing my anchor away
Old 04-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Minnow

Thanks for all of the feedback. I picked up a new terrova tonight and hope to have it on the water Saturday.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Wallhanger

Default Video link

Guys,

I see that I forgot to include a reference or link in my first reply to the video that my original reply addressed (see above) Sorry about that.

...Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5uYIiTElVg

Yes, the new spot lock really does work that well!