Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What's your fishing/sleep schedule when going on your fishing trip? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-13-2017, 12:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
I can get tired and catch fish staying home. This is suppose to be a break from life and enjoyable. I go out when I feel like it. Come in when I feel like it. I've been known to send the boat out without me while I sit on the deck and read a book or just chill out. Schedules are for at home and at work.
That's it, right there.

That said, I tend to fish a lot, not because I feel like I have to (to "get my money's worth") but because I love it and it relaxes me.

I can disappear into book for hours at t time too.
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Wallhanger

We pick our fishing partners the night before then get on schedule with them, where we want to go the next day, do we want to shore lunch or come back to cabin for lunch. Everyone in camp agrees on a time to meet for dinner and who and how many fish to keep. Hangovers and weather tend to adjust the schedules though.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Minnow

I personally like to be on the water by 5:00 and fish till 9:00, Come in for brunch and then back on the water from 11:00 till 3/4:00 and then a dinner. Then back on the water by 6:00 until 9:30/10. The midday we normally hit the bays for bass, pike and perch. Mornings and evenings are for walleye. I agree with the previous post about needing a vacation after my trip, but that is my enjoyment. Every buddy has a different idea of what they are looking for. Best of luck to everyone this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Wallhanger

I am more of a late night fisherman. I just find more big eyes late than really early, so I tend to fish later than earlier.

This is one of those topics that always scares me when I fish with a new group or invite newbies with us. I think it is important to level set when folks like to fish for pairing up boat partners. I typically find that in January everyone is a 17 hr a day fisherman, but come day 2 or 3 of a trip they have dialed it way back. I am usually good for a lot of hours but more like 12-14 vs 18 kinda guys. If you find yourself with a new boat partner and you aren't in sync it make for an UNCOMFORTABLE week.

Brett
Old 06-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Wallhanger

Most of my weekends are spent camping, hunting or fishing, and we DIY everything. When I go up to Canada, we prefer to do a housekeeping plan now, so breakfast and dinner are during set times, but we have no meals to prep or clean up after either, unless we do shore lunch(mandatory at least once on each trip).

Get up about 5-5:30AM, hit the main lodge for coffee and a big breakfast. Go out fishing until I feel like coming back, sometimes for a midday nap, sometimes staying out until 5 for dinner.

Lunch is a bag of sandwiches or a DIY shore lunch on your own schedule. We usually do a few shore lunches during our stay and bag lunches the other days. There are days where we skip lunch because breakfast and dinners are filling enough.

Dinner usually starts being served around 5, and we eat a great meal, (steak, 1/2 chicken, bacon wrapped pork chop, etc.) then back fishing until dark.

Dark = bar time at Eagle Lake, so we drink and BS there until midnight some days. Wake up 5-5:30 and repeat.

A vacation, to me, isn't for sitting around relaxing. Making the best of my paid time off of work has to be doing some of my favorite things. You couldn't pay me enough to "waste" my PTO sitting on a beach or a cruise ship. I can sit around reading at home. I do read in bed on a fishing trip, but mainly so my wife can fall asleep first, before I fire up the chainsaw sounds of my snoring.

I can't wait until we get back up there on Sat morning.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Wallhanger

That first trip to Canada many years ago I learned about 18 hour fishing days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjayn View Post
... my first trip to Canada was a bit tiring the first few days. I almost always fish until dusk, no major breaks. The excitement of being in Canada fishing for the first time got me up early and we were out at dawn the first 2 days. Well in Mid-June that meant we fished from 5:30-6am until about 10:30-11pm. Somehow my partner and I woke up about 11am the 3rd day and were surprised we hadn't noticed that fishing all day, a few beers at the fire and dinner left us about 3 hours of sleeptime and we were exhausted. The resort owner was laughing at us strolling into the main lodge at noon, he was like I was wondering when it was going to catchup with you guys you fished dam near 35 hours in the first 2 days.

We noticed the best fishing was in the late afternoon so we started adjusting our times and coming back to the cabin for a few hours during mid day.

Now I tend to fish semi early, but not dawn and like to get off the water a little earlier then dusk. I will still go Dawn to dusk once in a while(when the fish are biting) but 8am to dusk is much more likely.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Wallhanger

Fish 4 hours or so in the morning.Lunch at camp roughly around noon...fish another 4 hours or so and then cocktail hour,deck and grill time before cards and bed. No clocks in Canada.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Wallhanger

Never been to Canada but we do 5 or 6 trips a year out to Lake Ontario. we are usually on the water by 430 and off by 8pm. Breakfast is usually cereal in the cabin, lunch is sandwiches and Dinner at a restaurant. After a meal and a beer or 2 we usually don't need any sleeping pills to be sleeping by 9:30. I can relax at home fishing is way more important than relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Minnow

Usually wake up when we wake up which is usually about 6 am the first day, 6:30 the second, 7 the third and so on (never past 7:30). Make coffee, grab a breakfast bar and fish until 10:30/11 or so. Eat a lunch, cleanup, drink a beer and make a plan for the afternoon. Head back out at 1 and fish (usually northerns) until 4:30 or 5. Eat a big fish dinner. Head out about 6:30 and fish walleyes until dark. Drink beer around the campfire. Cook up a late night snack if needed.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Wallhanger

Usually up around 7 pm, good breakfast and hit the water. Lunch on the boat - usually pretty light. Then back in around 3-5 pm, clean fish and make dinner. Head back out between 5-7 till dark or better. Repeat. I find it is tough to soar with the eagles and hoot with the owls, so we hoot with the owls.