Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Short in Yamaha Control Wires - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-04-2016, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Fishin,
You have indicated that you have gotten the problem down to one or two of two wires that run from the ignition switch to the motor.

Continue flexing, until you positively find the wire, and the spot on the wire which causes your gauges to come and go.

You have thus, found a break in that particular wire at that particular spot.

Pick up a piece of 16 gauge tinned insulated wire and replace that section of wire, by cutting the wire and adding a splice around the break.

You will be good to go.

Be safe

p.s.
Be sure to use only TINNED wire for the repair.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29007874?w...233271&veh=sem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Keeper

Thanks boys. I've got my dealer committed to taking care of me on Tuesday. It's going to take up a day of mine, but at least I'm self employed and can work remotely. I'll feel more confident having it a service center.

To answer the REW's question - it's a 2005 Yamaha F90 EFI. It's mounted on my 03 Alumacraft Tournament Pro 175.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Fishin,

After you get the rig repaired, please let us know - exactly - what the dealer finds defective on your rig.

Be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 06:36 AM
Keeper

Sorry I forgot to post my report of my trip to the dealer.

Here's how it worked out. I took it over to the dealer I bought it from in Trego, Wisconsin. They promised they'd do all they could to get me in and out same day. What they found was that the ground wire in the main harness had broken on the boat side. Still not sure how when I pressed on the wires by the tiller that the gauges would short out, but I can't replicate the problem anymore. So rather than order a entire new harness ($200 for the part and a minimum two week wait, as they couldn't find one in the US), the mechanic just added an all new grounding wire and wrapped it into/around the harness. I asked if that's a short term fix, he said he didn't see any reason that it would need fixed at any point. In and out in three hours and out a tank of gas. Worked from my truck for the morning, so I really don't feel like I lost much. Very happy with the outcome.